Monday, November 12, 2012

Short, Shorter, Shortest. Also, I'm Stumped.

This "question" is a little different than usual, mainly because it's got me a little stumped! So I'm not so exactly providing an answer, but more asking for your input...

My friend Hännah writes, "I have this dress (pictured below) in an older version of it, which is a very light silvery grey (some shimmer to the fabric)... It's short. I love it, but it's short. I'm kind of on the tall end of things (5' 7") and so it's really fun and flattering to do the classic leggy look for going out, but I got this to wear to work, and I haven't been happy with my options for doing that. I've dressed it down with a long cardigan and tried it over skinny jeans (ew no -- too bulky) and with long black leggings and brown boots (this worked okay). Got any better ideas?"

Okay so all of the different things she's tried are pretty much what I would suggest, but I still wanted to share this question, for two reasons:
  1. Her suggestions on how to make a shorter dress work appropriate and more conservative, if necessary, are really helpful!
  2. I really want to know if you all have any brilliant ideas? Please share! 
There are a couple of things that came to mind for Hännah to try, but they're really just riffs on the solutions she's already come up with:
short dress
  • Jeggings: A slightly less bulky denim option... since these are skin-tight, they won't be as chunky under the dress.
  • Patterned leggings: As long as they're opaque, patterned leggings could help create the illusion that you're wearing a tunic & pants rather than a dress with tights... a slightly more "acceptable" option for work.
  • Monochromatic tights/leggings: Wearing tights or leggings that are the same color as the dress can help camouflage the amount of leg that's showing.
  • Long cardigan: Try one that's actually longer than the dress, and belt it around the waist, so the cardigan almost looks like it's part of the dress, creating a longer "hem."
  • Flat shoes/boots: The flatter the shoes, the less it'll look like there's a lot of leg between the dress's hem and your feet. Taller boots can help cover a lot of leg, and monochromatic flats can help keep the line clean so the "leg" part of the ensemble doesn't stick out too much.
Leave a comment if you have any other suggestions!

10 comments:

  1. how about a longer dress or skirt underneath? I'm not talking prairie petticoats here (although that could be fine?) but something with a fun hemline could make it more workplace friendly? The Anthro site usually has some good ideas for styling layered dresses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a really good idea! As long as it doesn't make it too bulky, I could see that being an artsy alternative. Thanks for sharing :D

      Delete
    2. I think something like this would do the trick?
      http://www.anthropologie.com/anthro/product/clothes-skirts/25562976.jsp

      or buy a cheap slip, some lace and make your own?

      Delete
    3. Cute! That could definitely work. Making a slip into a skirt is a great idea too :D

      Delete
  2. i love that you always pin your blog posts so i don't have to do it myself. lazy, i know. haha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I actually own a really lightweight jacket in sort of a trench/pea/blazer coat type style that I use for this very purpose. It covers longer in the back and then I'll generally wear a pair of boots to help cancel out a little leg. Could work great for business. Kinda like this: http://www.zigoti.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/pea-coat-and-stripe-mini-dress.jpg

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, that is super adorable and innovative! Thanks for sharing :)

      Delete
  4. Hi Casey!
    If it isn't too bulky, maybe a chambray or another office-y type shirt underneath the dress to draw the eye up. And then with some opaque tights (or leggings) and boots, maybe it would work?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey!! That's definitely worth a try! A chambray shirt, since it's light, would help draw the eye upward. Good idea!

      Delete