Friday, February 8, 2013

Girl Friday: Sarah

Good morning, sweet readers: meet Sarah!
Sarah is an artist, and that shines through in her clothes. She pulls off the layered-vintage-chic look effortlessly, and inspires me with her choice in colors, unique pieces, and fun accessories. Her interview is below -- please enjoy!

*   *   *   *   *
The Twenty Ninth: Tell us a little bit about what you're currently doing.
Sarah: I am currently a Visual Manager for Anthropologie in Chevy Chase, where I have been for almost four years now. It is as perfect a job as I could imagine! I am able to be creative and use my art background every day in my work. At home is my husband Robert who works at night and my 19 month old daughter, Olive. We are expecting our second baby (a boy!) in April.
TN: Describe your style in a few words or a phrase:
S: Juxtaposition of texture, color and silhouette. 
TN: How has your style evolved over the years?
S: I've always loved putting outfits together, but I have definitely become more adventurous with bright colors, patterns, and accessories. Working in an environment where it's easy to get inspired by the beautiful clothes and people that come through the doors, you can't help but take risks with your wardrobe.
TN: Any fun/embarrassing clothing mishaps or stories you want to share?
S: All I can say is that I will never do a cartwheel in ripped/distressed jeans again.
TN: Who are your style influences?
S: I love Audrey Hepburn, Twiggy and Grace Kelly. I like to put modern twists on the style of old Hollywood. On the flip side, I also think Rachel Zoe's baggy style is effortlessly chic.
TN: Where's your favorite place to shop?
S: Most of my clothes are from Anthropologie and I don't really have time to shop otherwise. Work ends up being my one stop shop since there are so many timeless pieces I can collect and reinvent every season. For some of my basics, I love to wander across the street to J.Crew for a great layering cardigan or blazer. H&M and Target are also cheap places to get simple tops and bottoms to layer more special statement pieces over.
TN: How do you pick out an outfit?
S: I love to mix textures and proportions. If I am wearing a fitted bottom, I pair it with a baggier top and vice versa. Before I walk out the door, I make sure the outfit is finished off with a great accessory.
TN: Which part of your look have you experimented with recently?
S: My favorite thing to experiment with is lipstick. If you pick the right shade, lipstick never fails to make an outfit look even more polished and complete.
TN: What's your favorite thing in your closet to wear, and why?
S: A mid-calf length Leifsdottir dress from Anthropologie (see pic below). It is my go-to dress for special occasions. I can pair it with heels or ankle boots. The design of it has just the right combination of vintage and modern. It almost looks like a dress my grandma would have handed down to me and I love that.

TN: Is there an article of clothing or type of shoes you wouldn't be caught dead in?
S: Uggs.
TN: Do you have a favorite skincare or makeup product, or a favorite perfume?
S: I usually end up buying something different each time I go back to Sephora, but the one thing I find myself always picking up is Bumble and Bumble Surf Spray. I hate the way my hair is when it's just washed and dried (too flat). This Surf Spray gives it that great separated, tousled texture you usually get from being at the beach all day.
TN: Any shopping tips or fashion advice you'd like to share?
S: If you are looking to liven up a simple wardrobe, I would start with investing a few great accessories first, like a great statement necklace or patterned scarf. You can pair those great accessories with jeans and t-shirt and look really put together.

*   *   *   *   *

Thanks for interviewing and sharing your life with us, Sarah -- and congrats on baby #2!
(All pictures were taken by Sarah's husband, Robert.)

Know someone who should be featured on The Twenty Ninth? Interested in being interviewed yourself? Drop me a line: casey [at] thetwentyninth [dot] com. 

No comments:

Post a Comment