Friday, May 17, 2013

Girl Friday: Courtney

This is Courtney!
My friend Erin nominated Courtney for Girl Friday, and it's not hard to see why! Get to know Courtney better via her interview below!

*   *   *   *   *
The Twenty Ninth: Tell us a little bit about what you're currently doing.
Courtney: I taught seventh grade social studies for five years in New England. This past summer I made a quick and unexpected career change to work on the Romney campaign. Best experience ever, but due to the way things turned out in November and the sequestration on the Hill, things did not turn out as planned. I am now managing a clothing store at the regional mall in the DC area. We'll see what the future holds!
TN: Describe your style in a few words or a phrase:
C: Preppy with a bit of a modern edge.
TN: How has your style evolved over the years?
C: I have become more comfortable with myself and have learned to accept that there are certain styles that can not be done with my 5'11'' height and DDD chest. Also, I've learned to shop my size! No one else is going to know what the tag says on the inside of your clothing, but they will notice if you are trying to pour yourself into something that is just too small. Plus, you end up looking bigger when you wear something too small for you than if you just wore your true size.
TN: Any fun/embarrassing clothing mishaps or stories you want to share?
C: I mean pretty much all of my fashion choices from the age of 9 to 14 shouldn't be allowed to see the light of day... And that's all we need to say about that.

TN: Who are your style influences?
C: Honestly I love looking at how 'normal' people dress. Celebrities are great, but they often have stylists and unlimited budgets -- not reality for us peasants. My best friend has amazing style -- a little bit more glam than I am -- and we definitely push each other to be more stylish, but also to take risks (she's in the pictures with me when I'm wearing the gold dress and the one with the pink dress). Also, I have a cousin (the one next to me in the picture where we are sitting on a rock ledge) who accessories her outfits beautifully and inspired me to collect a huge jewelry collection. Putting on a gorg necklace is the easiest way to elevate a jeans and T-shirt outfit into something fabulous.
TN: Where's your favorite place to shop?
C: Nordstrom Rack is my favorite place. I've learned that it's better to buy quality over quantity (especially with shoes!). The Rack allows me to do that on a teacher/ campaign worker budget. For fun pieces that may go out of style in a season or two, I always head to Forever 21 or Old Navy. Also, I can't forget about Ann Taylor! It is my go-to for suiting and dresses.
TN: How do you pick out an outfit?
C: This sounds really obvious, but I usually pick an outfit based on the weather. Don't be the stupid looking girl in a mini-skirt in the winter. Once the weather factor is out of the way, I shop based on the occasion (another duh!). It's important to take into account what you are doing during the day. When I was on the campaign, I was often up at 6 AM and not in bed until 12 AM. My outfits had to be functional, modest, easy to move in during the day, but also be able to transport easily to a dressy event at night. It takes some thought, but if you have a few key outfits to 'run to', you can not fail (and keep a pair of heels in your tote bag!). Don't forget your own comfort! The days you feel 'fat' are when you break out the empire waist dresses, and some days you feel hot, which is the time to try things you're normally afraid to wear. Don't forget that if you act like you own your outfit, people will generally accept that it's fabulous.

TN: Which part of your look have you experimented with recently?
C: My hair -- I usually keep it shorter than shoulder length, but recently I've been growing it out. And secretly I've always wanted a pixie cut. #conflicted
TN: What's your favorite thing in your closet to wear, and why?
C: Leggings and maxi dresses. I have a pair of black leggings with back pockets and seaming, and they look like ponte pants = people think I'm wearing pants and I feel like I'm wearing pajamas. Winning. I have been stopped several times while wearing a maxi dress and been told I "look so glam." Meanwhile I feel like I'm wearing yoga pants and a hoodie. Another huge win in my book.
TN: Is there an article of clothing or type of shoes you wouldn't be caught dead in?
C: CROCS. Never, ever, ever acceptable in any circumstance. Also, a Vera Bradley purse. I used to love them, but now realize that a quilt is best left on the bed.
TN: Do you have a favorite skincare or makeup product, or a favorite perfume?
C: Flowerbomb by Viktor Rolf is an amazing perfume! False eyelashes for events are a must. I am a make-up junky. The ladies at my local Sephora know me well... #shame
TN: Any shopping tips or fashion advice you'd like to share?
C: Dress for your body/ size! Most women cannot wear everything -- don't try to. Buy quality when shopping for long-term items, splurge on handbags -- they really are an investment. More ideas can be found on my Pinterest!
*   *   *   *   *

I love your confidence and advice, Courtney! (Also, your description of Vera Bradley bags was brilliant...) Thanks for interviewing.

Know someone who should be featured on The 29th? Interested in being interviewed yourself? Drop me a line: casey [at] thetwentyninth [dot] com. 

1 comment:

  1. Thanks Casey! It was a lot of fun doing the style interview!

    ReplyDelete