Friday, March 8, 2013

Girl Friday: Aly

Meet Aly!
I was introduced to Aly via Janet, who recommended that I interview her. And I'm glad I did -- Aly's simple & comfortable style is definitely share-worthy! Enjoy her interview below.

*   *   *   *   *
The Twenty Ninth: Tell us a little bit about what you're currently doing.
Aly: I currently work as a Behavioral Interventionist with kids with autism. This coming fall I am embarking on the adventure that is art school to study textile art.
TN: Describe your style in a few words or a phrase:
A: I like to think it's simple, classic, and incredibly wearable. I love textures but when it comes to colors, well, I don’t wear very many. I tend to stick to pieces that are very versatile with other favorite pieces in my wardrobe.
TN: How has your style evolved over the years?
A: When I look at clothes I see textures and shapes and colors long before I see labels, brands, or outfits. Fashion isn’t any different from any other form of design. You design a room just like you build an outfit. Once that clicked in my brain I felt I actually liked getting dressed in the morning.
TN: Any fun/embarrassing clothing mishaps or stories you want to share?
A: Ages 13-18 were pretty rough in the clothing department -- sort of like one giant mishap. Looking back, I just laugh because I just really had no clue. I owned a closet full of khakis and pastel polos. I was stuck in the awkward teenage years for way longer than I should have been. I blame taking fashion advice from two older brothers.
TN: Who are your style influences?
A: I have this weird love of pretty much anything the Olsen twins wear. They have perfected this balance of classic elegance meets tomboy. I also love, love, love Wes Anderson and I’m always inspired by his 60’s/70’s color palettes and fresh clean lines. I don’t wear a mustard yellow tweed suit or anything, but I do have pieces in my wardrobe influenced by some of his work.
TN: Where's your favorite place to shop?
A: I don’t have a specific store that I couldn’t live without. My loyalty lies in individual items rather than brands. For example, Topshop has amazing basics like leggings, t-shirts, and tanks. Madewell is my go to for button downs and sweaters. I have too many of Gap’s jeggings and classic jackets, and you can’t beat Anthropologie’s accessories and dresses. Any other oddball thing I have is probably from my favorite thrift store, Penny Pinchers.
TN: How do you pick out an outfit?
A: Normally it starts because I really want to wear one particular thing. But when I’m not sure what to wear, I always start with pants. Maybe that seems backwards, but it’s sort of like buying a sofa for your living room -- starting with the basics and then building towards the final product.
TN: Which part of your look have you experimented with recently?
A: I’ve spent the past year traveling and basically unemployed so I’ve been trying to revamp some of my “older,” less favorite items and trying to wear them differently. Accessories, belts, tights, and a little creativity can really refresh your view of an older piece of clothing.
TN: What's your favorite thing in your closet to wear, and why?
A: With a bit of shame I will admit that I’ve become a huge legging wearer. I fell in love with Topshop’s classic legging. It’s thicker than most leggings and is more along the line of really, really, stretchy pants. (This is not making them sound any better...) Honestly I would be completely lost without them. They come in a million colors and go with everything.
TN: Is there an article of clothing or type of shoes you wouldn't be caught dead in?
A: Overalls. I wore too many as a child and I shudder whenever I see the threat of their return on the runway.
TN: Do you have a favorite skincare or makeup product, or a favorite perfume?
A: I love Fresh’s Sugar Lip balm. It is a perfect finisher to your makeup routine. Gives you that, “Oh yeah my lips are just that awesome all the time” look. Totally natural and super light on your lips.
TN: Any shopping tips or fashion advice you'd like to share?
A: My one shopping rule is: If I don’t love it, don’t buy it.

*   *   *   *   *

Thanks for sharing, Aly -- so glad to get to know you through your interview! And big thanks to Kristina at Green Ginger Photography for the gorgeous pictures.

Know someone who should be featured on The Twenty Ninth? Interested in being interviewed yourself? Drop me a line: casey [at] thetwentyninth [dot] com. 

3 comments: