Friday, March 29, 2013

Girl Friday: Erin

This is my dear friend Erin (she's the blonde, not the furry one), and she is boss:

Erin strikes an impressive balance between fun-loving and mature in not only her style, but her life in general. She's an amazing prankster with a very caring heart -- the perfect combination, I think! Erin's enjoyment of life shines through in her clothing & accessory choices, but at the same time, she's able to maintain an air of poise and class as she dresses for her job as a school teacher. Read more about Erin's style below!

*   *   *   *   *
The Twenty Ninth: Tell us a little bit about what you're currently doing.
Erin: I teach English and History and coach cross country and cheer-leading at an amazing private school, and I am working on my M.A. in English.
TN: Describe your style in a few words or a phrase:
E: Classic and feminine with a dash of the vintage and whimsical. Students have described several of my outfits as "country chic," and I think that fits in there somewhere as well.
TN: How has your style evolved over the years?
E: I remember when I first became interested in clothes as a teenager, I looked to whatever my friends were wearing to define style. At that point our lives this was mostly sporty and athletic (shout out to Adidas sandals and American Eagle t-shirts!). It wasn't until college that I started to discover more of my own personal taste in clothing, which was primarily pastel and extremely girlie. That general idea has has evolved and matured over the years, and became even more defined when I was doing graduate work in the UK. It's taken me far too long to realize that my style has to come from within, and no one else can define it except me.
TN: Any fun/embarrassing clothing mishaps or stories you want to share?
E: The whole of middle school I consider to be a clothing mishap. Thanks for bringing it up.
TN: Who are your style influences?
E: Zooey Deschanel, Kate and Pippa Middleton,  and a little classic Doris Day.
TN: Where's your favorite place to shop?
E: Modcloth, H&M, Delia's, and some local independent stores.
TN: How do you pick out an outfit?
E: During the week, I have to plan and pack the outfit for each day the night before because I try to hit the gym before work. (Emphasis on try... don't fact check this with my roommates.) As I'm looking ahead to what the next day holds, I'll shop my closet until I find something that feels fresh and inspiring. If I wore something businesslike the day before, I might plan something more whimsical for the next or vice-versa. From there I'll try to add accessories that polish the look and give it a little more personality.
TN: Which part of your look have you experimented with recently?
E: I've tried to experiment with color and contrast. Particularly in these winter months, we all need an unexpected splash of color in our lives.
TN: What's your favorite thing in your closet to wear, and why?
E: Fun dresses are my favorite, hands down.
TN: Is there an article of clothing or type of shoes you wouldn't be caught dead in?
E: High-waisted pleated pants. Some people have tried to pull it off recently, but for me it'll always be a big "no please."
TN: Do you have a favorite skincare or makeup product, or a favorite perfume?
E: Dream Angels: "Love is Heavenly" perfume
TN: Any shopping tips or fashion advice you'd like to share?
E: Keep your eyes open. Inspiration can come from anywhere, so keep mental notes on what strikes your eye and file those away for wardrobe inspiration.

*   *   *   *   *

Thanks for sharing your perspective on fashion with us, Erin!

Know someone who should be featured on The 29th? Interested in being interviewed yourself? Drop me a line: casey [at] thetwentyninth [dot] com. 

2 comments:

  1. Aw, so fun and cute Erin! As always - and I totally agree with all of this... quite a fun and whimsical, country chic fasion sense :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a great way to describe her style, for sure!

      Delete