Friday, May 10, 2013

Girl Friday: Angie

This adorable pregnant lady is Angie:
My friend Kristen sent me Angie's info, and let me know about her awesome maternity style (she's expecting in July!) and a great fashion sense overall. Get to know her better in her interview, below! Her clothing mishap in particular is not to be missed, and she also shares some great advice near the end. Enjoy!

*   *   *   *   *
The Twenty Ninth: Tell us a little bit about what you're currently doing.
Angie: I am currently a full-time LCPC (licensed clinical professional counselor) for the state of Maryland. I am married to the raddest dude I have ever met and we’re expecting our first baby this July. 
TN: Describe your style in a few words or a phrase:
A: "Eclectic-licious." Haha.
TN: How has your style evolved over the years?
A: Back in the day I used to play it safe with the ever-classic black and white top with black pants, or the black and white skirt with a purple or red top. My jewelry was seriously limited to a silver watch, boring earrings, a couple silver rings, and a random “not to be desired” necklace. I’m not really sure what came over me but one day I decided that my world needed to be rocked. Since I’m not rich and always made my bills first priority, I would get one “more interesting” item here and there as I could afford it. I even started changing up my make-up, moving into MAC’s cosmic world of eye color.
TN: Any fun/embarrassing clothing mishaps or stories you want to share?
A: Am I allowed to even share this in “public”? One morning when I was a junior in highschool I was rushing to get ready for school so I could make it to my chemistry test review before school started. I drove myself to school and needed to get across town quick, fast, and in a hurry. I guess I suffer from “10 minutes late everywhere I go” disorder. I got ready as fast as I could, jumped in my car, probably flew across town like only a crazed highschool driver does (yikes), pulled into the student parking, grabbed my bag and literally ran toward the science building. Halfway thru my sprint I noticed something didn’t feel right -- like something was missing but not entirely. I seriously remember stopping in my tracks and realizing the reason I felt naked was because I had gotten dressed so fast that day that I may or may not have forgotten to put my bra on. I’m no hippie and do have standards, and I was shamelessly sporting a lonesome shirt that morning on school grounds on a chilly spring morning. But maybe shameless isn’t the right word, because I turned right back around and ran to my car as fast as I could and drove home to retrieve this important and necessary article. And it goes without saying that I did NOT make it to my chemistry review that day.
TN: Who are your style influences?
A: I guess my biggest style influences would be the cutely dressed mannequins in the department stores combined with whatever’s on the sale rack, haha. I tend to make up outfits as I go.
TN: Where's your favorite place to shop?
A: I have a few places I like to hit around town that I stay loyal to: Burlington Coat Factory, Ross, and Target. Some people are deterred by the fact that Burlington and Ross require you to dig through the mess to find the jewels, but I like a good treasure hunt. I typically find pieces from these 2 stores that can be used in multiple outfits and paired with various embellishments. And as for Target, I usually head straight to the sale rack, which is hit or miss, but sometimes I splurge if I see something begging me to give it a home. However, with my growing belly and need for maternity/larger clothes, I find I’m having to spend more than I typically would if I weren’t prego.
TN: How do you pick out an outfit?
A: I typically pick out an outfit based primarily on my mood. And if I were honest -- I usually have the same mood on Friday… tired. However, the days leading up to Friday, as well as Sunday for church, I try to look “desirable,” haha.
TN: Which part of your look have you experimented with recently?
A: Honestly, being pregnant I feel like I’ve experimented with everything. Right now certain pants just aren’t comfortable with a belly band. My feet are swollen so certain shoes are no longer in the mix. And with my newly found “sausage fingers,” most of my rings are on sabbatical until further notice. So basically I’m having to get creative with limited resources but also keep my eyes peeled for bargains as I’m able to when I’m out.
TN: What's your favorite thing in your closet to wear, and why?
A: I have a couple favorites up in my closet: I seriously luhhhhv my infinity scarves. Mine are brightly colored and add an awesome pop of color to my day. I also stinkin' love all my bracelets. They all come from different places and many of them even have a neato short story behind why I own and love them…well -- maybe neato to me.
TN: Is there an article of clothing or type of shoes you wouldn't be caught dead in?
A: Yes. One that doesn’t compliment my body style and require me to be unwise with my cash-flow in order to get it. Rule #1 for me: my clothes do not in any way define who I am and therefore do not give me my worth. This frees me up to wear whatever I find, wherever I find it.
TN: Do you have a favorite skincare or makeup product, or a favorite perfume?
A: I heart my MAC and Mary Kay eyeshadows… I used to go buckwild with all different colors a few years ago. However, the closer I inched to 30, the more I moved away from the louder colors and toward the ones that draw less attention to my face. I was… an attention hog? Perhaps.
TN: Any shopping tips or fashion advice you'd like to share?
A: It’s important to first accept what your body type is and shop to flatter it, not manipulate it. By that I mean too many females wear skin-tight clothing hoping it makes them look thinner, when in reality, it does the opposite. If you’re unhappy with your body type, your clothing is not where you want to attempt to change it. Always shop for your body type, regardless what you’re seeing in magazines or on TV. Not everything is made for everyone. Also, get creative and try something new: a new color, a few fun embellishments, a ridiculously awesome shoe, or colored pants, and seriously wear it like you mean it.
*   *   *   *   *

Thanks for sharing, Angie! And congratulations on your little one!

Know someone who should be featured on The 29th? Interested in being interviewed yourself? Drop me a line: casey [at] thetwentyninth [dot] com. 

No comments:

Post a Comment