Friday, September 14, 2012

Girl Friday: Carmen

This is Carmen!
A couple of things I admire about Carmen. First, her expertise at dressing her petite frame: everything she wears looks elegant and effortless, and her clothes fit her perfectly (which, I have heard, is not easy when you're petite). Second, I love the way she rocks her enviable stash of cute dresses and accessorizes them so well. She says it in her answers below, and it's true -- one of the first things I noticed when I met her was her knack for matching up endless dress + boots combinations, while always looking fresh, gorgeous, and modern.

*   *   *   *   *

The Twenty Ninth: Describe your style in a few words or a phrase.
Carmen: Classic, feminine, & artsy.

TN: How has your style evolved over the years? 
C: I've learned how to dress for my body (height, build, etc.). This may sound overly simplistic, but looking back on my high school and college years, I wish I would have learned this lesson much sooner! I've also learned that it's more important to wear a coordinating outfit than a matching outfit, and that you'll likely save money in the long run if you invest in quality clothing staples.

TN: Any fun/embarrassing clothing mishaps or stories you'd like to share?
C: I was heading off to class one afternoon during my junior year of college, feeling slightly uncertain (but too tired to care) about the outfit I had just thrown together -- a light blue H&M tweed skirt paired with a black, cap-sleeved button-down and black wedges. Let's just say that the raised eyebrows I received from my housemates as I dashed out the door later translated into a firm but gracious fashion citation.
TN: Who are your style influences? 
C: I draw style inspiration from a myriad of sources: fashion blogs (e.g. The Daybook and Atlantic-Pacific), fashion magazines (Vogue, InStyle), Pinterest, and stylish family & friends. :) If my Pinterest fashion board is any indication, women like Kerri Russell, Marion Cotillard, Gwyneth Paltrow, and Kate Middleton are some of my top style influences. (I realize I lose originality points by mentioning the Princess.)

TN: Where's your favorite place to shop?  
C: Banana Republic, Ann Taylor Loft, H&M, annnnnd, believe it or not, Ebay.

TN: How do you pick out an outfit? 
C: After staring into my closet for a minute or two, I ask myself, "Do I want to wear a skirt, pants/jeans, or a dress today?" I then build my outfit around my answer.

TN: What's your favorite thing in your closet to wear and why?  
C: Anyone who knows me knows I absolutely love wearing dresses (I wore dresses so much in high school, I got asked if I even owned a pair of jeans). Dresses are versatile, easy to wear, and many of them transition well from one season to the next.

TN: Any shopping tips or fashion advice you'd like to share? 
C: Two things:
  1. Never pay full price for any article of clothing. Always be on the lookout for sales & get accustomed to shopping off-season. I also highly recommend shopping on Ebay. I've purchased brand new Banana Republic & J.Crew items on Ebay with which I've been extremely pleased. 
  2. Purchase items that fit you well and flatter your body type. (As much as I love maxi dresses, I stay away from them because they engulf my petite frame.)

*   *   *   *   * 
 Thanks for interviewing, Carmen!

No comments:

Post a Comment