Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Tips for Wearing Boxy, Loose Tops

boxy tops

Hannah asked: "Any tips for keeping a loose, fun top (like this) from looking like a floppy pajama top?"

These kinds of tops can be a little tricky to wear -- originally I thought they were off limits for me because my torso isn't mile-high. Happily, I was wrong! It just takes a little fashion magic. A few tips:
  1. Wear a long tank underneath. This is for shirts that skim the waist. If you have a shorter torso, the idea is to create the illusion of a longer one (to which you're probably saying, "Duh.") A long tank pulled down over the top of your pants and hugging your hips will help with that.
  2. My favorite fashion fix: the front tuck! Take the front shirttail and tuck it sort of haphazardly into the front of your jeans or skirt. This blouses the top some, and allows it to skim your front and sides in a slimming way, while gathering the shirt and making it look a little neater and tailored. (The front tuck and I became friends after I had my daughter Violet... a little tucking does wonders for hiding postpartum baby abs.)
  3. In general, pair boxy tops with skinny jeans or slim pants, or a pencil type skirt. Since you're wearing something looser on top, you want to make sure you don't look boxy and baggy all over. A slim silhouette on the bottom will help with that. 
There ya go! Hopefully that helps. Anyone else have tips for wearing boxy shirts?

No comments:

Post a Comment