Monday, February 11, 2013

Currently Loving: February

I always misspelled "February" growing up (kind of like how I still misspell the word "misspell"). It's got that tricky, nearly silent "r" in the middle. So I'd just write, "Febuary." I actually still say "Febuary." Probably because pronouncing that first "r" is a little pretentious, okay?

Let's talk lovelies and love and all that. Here's what I'm digging this month, from the top.
  • Spicy Mexican Quinoa Soup: I found this recipe last winter, and it's become a cold-weather go-to around here. It's a spicy tomato-based soup, but it's served over quinoa and with sliced avocado which break up the heat. It's mild enough that Vi can still eat and enjoy it (and me too... I'm not exactly adventurous when it comes to spicy). Seriously perfect for sniffly noses and February temperatures. Highly recommend. (As does David.)
  • Finding the Perfect LBD: Truth is, I've bought a couple little black dresses over the years -- for weddings or last minute holiday parties -- but I've never truly loved any of them. As of last week, I was still on the hunt for that wear-all be-all and end-all elusive LBD that everyone always talks about. And I found it. Perfect length, versatile fabric & style, can be dressed up or down, gorgeous sleeves, and amazingly on sale for 50% in the store. Yeah. I love this dress.
  • Loving it Up on Valentines Day: My mom always made Valentines Day special for me and my siblings -- heart stickies on the windows, candy and a little present at the breakfast table, and after dinner we'd have a huge family valentines-making soiree. The table would be covered with pink & red paper, doilies of all shapes & sizes, gluesticks, glitter, markers, and stickers (usually Snoopy ones), and we'd all set to work constructing the cleverest, funniest, inside-jokiest valentines we could manage, to be distributed while we ate dessert. I have the sweetest memories of Valentines Day. This year, David and I plan to keep to our tradition of eating Five Guys, making sundaes, and watching a movie on the couch -- all our favorites. Ah, love.
  • New Ankle Booties: It's kind of hard to sound mature when you're talking about "booties." It makes it sound like I'm referring to some kind of irreverent baby shower gift. Whatever their name implies, they are tres chic. These ones were added to my closet just recently, and I love them enough to share them with you here, even though it required me to write "booties" multiple times.
Are you loving anything in particular this month? Do share!

2 comments:

  1. I equally dislike the term "bootie" yet equally am loving my Christmas ankle boots, and happen to be wearing them this very moment at work. And I had to praise you for venturing into the world of latin-inspired foods. Don't think that avocado and cilantro got past me... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's because you're a rockstar :) And yes! Spicy food is growing on me. Thanks for the encouragement! xo

      Delete