Monday, February 25, 2013

The Oscars!

Did you catch the Oscars last night? Overall, I loved the old Hollywood feel that a lot of actresses went for. But honestly, I felt the red carpet was lacking in blow-you-away dresses. I actually saw a number of non-A-list attendees in the background whose dresses looked really intriguing and I kept wishing a camera would zoom in on them. Unfortunately, there's no way to know who in the world they were.

There were a few standouts, though! Favorites:
Amanda Seyfried: Loved the gray-lavender color plus the gold accents, along with the train.

Stacy Keibler: Her entire look just worked so well -- very 20's. The cut of the dress was impeccable. 

Jennifer Lawrence: At first, I wrote her dress off as boring, but the more I looked at it, the more I liked it. The color, texture, and that a-mazing skirt won me over in the end. It's Dior, after all!

Samantha Barks: I tend to like her dress choices in general... this one was just simple and awesome. (Her necklace is also awesome.) Plus, the teal dress she wore for her performance during the actual show was also stunning. Double win on her part.


Least favorites:
Naomi Watts: It's like the Jetsons meets wacko ice skating outfit. (Thanks to Lydia & Janet for the ice skating reference.)

Anne Hathaway: She pulled a Taylor Swift and picked a dress worthy of a middle school dance in 1999. As my friends Jessica & Erin aptly put it, it's just begging for a goth choker and a spiky up-do with chopsticks in it.

Jennifer Garner: While the color worked really well for her, all I saw was her being attacked by a purple sea slug, from behind.

Also, the question haunting everyone who watched last night: Did Kristen Stewart even brush her hair before arriving at the red carpet?

I want to know your best & worst picks!

4 comments:

  1. I was disappointed over all as well. I expected a lot more color + pattern seeing how they are both so in trend right now. Instead we got a bunch of blush pink and grey gowns.

    You know my love for Miss Chastain. Her ensemble was in my top 5. Not because I think it was anything special but because there wasn't anything I hated about it. Haha. I also think Charlize's dress was beautiful but still pretty boring. And I reeally don't like the boy cut hair on her. I really wanted to like Jennifer Lawrence's Dior and I did from the waist down. But I have a big pet peeve against "long chested" ladies wearing strapless gowns. The proportions just aren't flattering and there's so much room between her neck + boobs.

    Zoe Saldana is my pick for worst dressed. Lord have mercy that dress! And, haha, I told Jan that Naomi looked like an ice skater! Awful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That makes two of us! Where were the exciting gowns? For crying out loud.

      Ha - I see what you're saying about Jennifer Lawrence's look. Maybe that's why I couldn't get behind it at first. The skirt was definitely my favorite part, for sure.

      And yeah... I don't know what was going on with Zoe Saldana's dress... Actually I do - it was TOO much. With the bow and belt and the cut outs up top and the three colors and split skirt.

      You def get all the credit for the ice skater comment :) Well said.

      I knew I could count on you to weigh in ;)

      Delete
    2. Always ;) I'm gonna miss award season!! Here's to next year.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete