Saturday, December 29, 2012

Collage: All Kinds of Stars

This was a "quick, I'm feeling inspired!" collage I made one afternoon a few months ago.

The feeling I wanted to evoke was watching shooting stars through a skylight, in bed (it's a little dream of mine to have a skylight in my bedroom). I used the following details to follow through on this theme:
  • Shooting stars are "Lucky" and used to make "wishes"
  • The navys/blacks with the contrast of oranges/sunflare yellows create a night sky feel, plus a day/night contrast
  • "Sun is better" -- the sun is the biggest star / provides a day/night contrast
  • The tribal textiles evoke the idea of bed & blankets, along with the picture of the skylights
  • Plus multiple kinds of star shapes (duh)
I know, it's not exactly airtight. But I think that's part of what art is: a mixture of things that provoke a specific associations for the artist. These things connect for me, based on my experience and what I want to communicate. Putting them together in a collage is my attempt to help you see and feel the same experience.

2 comments:

  1. I love stars, and to fill in my need for it, I made it a point to install skylight in my bedroom, right above my bed! Every time I stare at the night sky, I feel like I belong to the stars.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Skylights have a big impact on my life. Stars are my favorite, and skylights allow me to see that which makes me happy. I always look up the sky every night just to see those bright shining stars. That's my secret for a good night's sleep. :)

    Joann  Winton @ AJC Roofing

    ReplyDelete