Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Boot-Sock Cankles

Aside from the fact that the title of this post might make a good name for an obscure Indie band, I think we need to talk about wearing socks with boots and how there's potential for some real problems.
I have some questions for the socks & boots wearing community. I need reassurance that I'm not alone. A lot of people wear long, high, woolly socks with their boots. They look polished and put together, and no one questions what most likely lies underneath:
I got in some really great calf stretches while trying to take these pictures.
Hideous sock-cankles, created by pulling knee socks over jeans. It's unavoidable, right? I always flash back to wearing tights to Sunday School as a 6-year-old: they'd bunch around the ankles like melting elephant legs, no matter how hard you tried to hike them up.

Now, I know there are alternatives to wearing knee socks with your boots, like leg warmers or those 3-inch cuffs that you can wear around your calves to make it look like you're wearing tall socks... which... by the way... what if those get misplaced and all of a sudden you're wearing cable garters around your knees? Clearly I'm not brave enough to try them and need the security of full-length socks, with their cuffs grounded around my feet. Pathetic? Maybe.

What about those of us who don't have stick-slender calves? What about wearing polka-dot socks? Look at the obscene ovals these polka dots turn into when I pull them up over my denimed legs. Is this acceptable? Any shape other than stripes turns into deformed version of itself. Do I stick to stripes and innocuous one-color socks?


What if you want to wear socks & boots to a friend's party, but you know they have a no-shoes-in-the-house policy? Do you risk having to embarrass yourself at the front door as you slip off your boots, bearing your elephantine sock-cankles to the world? Do you quickly tuck your socks up into your jeans, as though they were never there when really, the every guest at the party now has your lumpy ankles burned into their memory?

I have issues, people. Problems. And not of the mental variety. Although you might be led to think that after reading this post. Once again, I am bearing my little fashion soul, and asking for your input... I've been making do with my knee socks, but I feel like maybe I'm missing something. Are you harboring boot-sock cankles too? Is it just the way it is?

9 comments:

  1. Haha, this is so great, I've wondered the same thing! I think I might go the legwarmer route this season, but I'd have to get some first. Also, those seem preferable and slightly less wannabe than the 3-inch faker "socks".

    When I saw the title of this post I thought you were going to address the phenomenon of ankle boots with the thick socks. Personally, I think this is an unattractive look on almost any woman, unless she is super skinny all over. It automatically creates the look of cankles, which is attractive on no one. If you find any solutions, please do a followup post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a pair of leg warmers that I haven't tried yet... I should!

      And it's funny you mention the ankle boots with socks thing, because I actually was considering including something about that on here... I agree, unless you're super skinny it looks a little silly. I prefer socks with boots that are at least mid-calf in height.

      Delete
  2. Haha, so good. The girls that come to cg, take off their boots and then fix their socks to be under their jeans. They do tend to take a while to get their boots on and off at the beginning and end of the night...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I vote for avoiding patterns on knee high socks - a vertical stripes is not slimming when stretched. I am a fan of the block color with maybe a matching color on the toes of the sock...

    I plan my sock peeping out of boot according to the lack of having to take off my boots... and wear them with the super skin/jegging type jean - never a heavy denim to avoid the bunch

    Another avoidance - the more slim the boot; I will not wear a heavy sock - so if the boot is already flat and not one that nips in at the ankle; it is more forgiving on the sock-boot cankle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jackie, I need your boot expertise! This is excellent. Maybe my jeans are not tight enough (haha). Also, I think you're right when it comes to patterns... there's too much that can go wrong.

      I agree with basing the thickness of your socks on how forgiving/loose your boots are. It's one thing to have internal sock-cankles that can be covered up by boots that smooth them over... it's a complete fashion no-no to see bunchy boots on the outside due to thick socks on the inside!

      Delete
  4. this is my new favoritest blog ever. casey, with your help, maybe i will be stylish someday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh, THIS needed to be written....

    ReplyDelete