Friday, October 19, 2012

Girl Friday: Courtney

This is my friend, Courtney!
When I originally asked Court to do an interview, I tried to put her style into words... the best I could come up with was skater/goth/pirate/fairy coolness. Quite the awesome combination, right? Courtney's closet is an extension of her personality -- she's is her own person, through and through --  imaginative, unique, and edgy (and that's just on the surface). My favorite thing about Courtney's style is that she always dresses in a way that ensures she's ready for adventure. She's one of my favorite people to get into trouble with and prank friends with. Up until recently she carried a box of plastic silverware and a blow-up Christmas penguin in the back of her car, just in case.

But I digress. Here's Court's interview!

*   *   *   *   *

The Twenty Ninth: Describe your style in a few words or a phrase.
Courtney: To keep it "simple" I'd say semi-gothic steam-punk rock.

TN: How has your style evolved over the years? 
C: Evolved? You mean like when did I actually start caring? Embarrassingly recently. Actually, not really caring allowed me a long and wonderful childhood... okay, one that's continuing in many ways, but I started getting into the punk/skater look in high school and it started morphing from there. At this point I really enjoy a variety of looks but lean toward edgy most of the time.
TN: Any fun/embarrassing clothing mishaps or stories you'd like to share?
C: Well, I can't think of any real mishaps, though I have had the misfortune of being called "hey dude" from behind in college... ouch. I think the other person was more embarrassed than me actually... but I just blamed it on having the body type of 14 year old boy. Hey, some are hourglasses and some are... well... pencils. And that's okay.

TN: Who are your style influences? 
C: Hmm... gotta go with Cyndi Lauper for this one. Or Cher. Okay, I might be kidding a little bit. I get ideas and inspiration anywhere: from something I see in a store, to an artist's illustration, to my own imagination... yeah, yikes. The Victorian steampunk theme is one of my absolute favorites so I enjoy incorporating it, and I've also gotten ideas from anime art. I enjoy doing my own take on goth and punk looks and can get ideas for those from magazines or online.
TN: Where's your favorite place to shop?  
C: I like Tilly's, PacSun, and Hot Topic. Oh and L.L. Bean. Hahahaha, just another little joke there. Forever 21 and Target have great prices, and Urban Outfitters and Buckle... well... I like to look around in those occasionally.

TN: How do you pick out an outfit? 
C: Close my eyes and grab at random. Hah, no it just looks like I do that! There is actual method to my madness! Really. Okay, it's mostly experimentation. I usually start with a theme or one item I want to wear and work everything else around it. A lot of times I scrap my initial idea and start over. Sometimes I even factor in little things like what the day's activities will be like or the weather or what event I'm going to! Psshh... details.
TN: What's your favorite thing in your closet to wear and why?  
C: Don't know if I have one absolute favorite, but I do have a weakness for interesting shoes and jackets. I also like skinny jeans since they're so versatile and I'm a big fan of shorts with boots. As far as colors go, it's black all the way. And don't anyone start on how black's not a color 'cause it doesn't matter. It pretty much speaks for itself in its amazingness. And I'll refer you to my husband Noah for a detailed logical argument on why it is, in fact, a color.

TN: Any shopping tips or fashion advice you'd like to share? 
C: Just a few thoughts. DON'T: go for outrageous just for outrageousness'(?) sake or to get a reaction from people. This approach doesn't tend to get attention in a good way.  At the same time, DO: be yourself! Be adventurous! If there's a style or item you like, go for it even if it's not the most "trendy" at the moment. You can always ask a close friend or someone who's fashion you admire how they think it looks or how to make it work. But don't feel pressure to just copy what everyone else is doing or only what's "in." There are way too many people doing the style-clone thing as it is. Also, being told "you sure don't seem to care what people think of you" can be a good or bad thing! 'Nuff said. And you can always go to this amazing blog called The Twenty Ninth for fashion advice...

Casey, I'll take my 20 bucks whenever.  =)

*   *   *   *   *

Thanks for interviewing Courtney... your check is in the mail. Hahaha. NOT.

8 comments:

  1. I love that I can hear Court's voice through her writing :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I was dying laughing when she sent it to me. It's just what my blog needed :D

      Delete
  2. I think that last pic is the first time I've seen Court in a skirt since we were maybe five. I did a double take...but very Courtney. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha. Well, Courtney would probably tell you herself, but she actually rocks quite a few skirts/dresses these days!

      Delete
  3. This was awesome!! I love the LL Bean joke...I was like "omg! I'm not the only one who likes ll bean!" :( oh dear. i think i am.
    emily puglisi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can't beat L.L.Bean for stuff like duck boots and outerwear :D

      Delete