Friday, October 12, 2012

Girl Friday: Erin

Today's interview is with Erin! Look at this face. Can you say gorgeous?

Erin has a very classic/preppy/FUN style. She mixes colors and patterns together really well, has an extensive statement necklace collection, and is currently rocking the colored pants trend really well. She's very comfortable in her fashion choices but still manages to be brave at the same time, trying new things and making bold statements. I've known Erin for a long time, so I've witnessed the evolution of her style, and there have been many times over the years where I've been encouraged to try something because she made it look amazing. She's also the most patient shopper I know... meaning, she's patient with me as I indecisively try on the same two shirts over and over again in the dressing room, trying to pick one.

For those of you who don't know, Erin's my sister!

*   *   *   *   *

The Twenty Ninth: Describe your style in a few words or a phrase.
Erin: Classic. I love stripes, ruffles, gold jewelry, flats, knee-length dresses, skinny jeans. I like to wear simple, classic outfits with a splash of color to add interest.

TN: How has your style evolved over the years? 
E: I went thru a wanna-be-skater-girl phase, a wanna-be-sporty-girl phase, an I'll-wear-anything-from-American-Eagle phase and a lot more trial and error phases than I like to confess. It's taken me a while to figure out what I like and what I'm "myself" in. Growing up with multiple sisters, it's easy to try to adopt the styles around you. It took me awhile to grow into my own style. I'm still figuring it out!

TN: Any fun/embarrassing clothing mishaps or stories you'd like to share?
E: I once bought super comfy loose yoga pants from Target. I thought they were so amazing with their stretchy waistband and extra room. I still remember my horror when I caught a glimpse of the tag sewn on the inside of the pants that clearly said "maternity fit." No wonder they were so comfy!

TN: Who are your style influences? 
E: Honestly, it varies. Sometimes magazines, sometimes lookbooks online, style blogs, friends, people I see on the street... I also have this weird habit of coming up with outfits in my head as I fall asleep. It's kind of my way of relaxing?

TN: Where's your favorite place to shop?  
E: If I was loaded, J.Crew for sure! I love their classic yet modern style. I'm a sucker for a bargain so I usually only shop their clearance rack. I also like consignment or thrift stores, Old Navy, and good ol' Target. I sometimes supplement at stores like TJ Maxx, Forever 21, Charlotte Russe, or H&M if I'm looking for something specific.

TN: How do you pick out an outfit? 
E: I usually wake up with an article of clothing in mind that I want to wear that day. I usually plan outfits around one piece -- either clothing or jewelry or even shoes. I have to wear uniforms for work (I'm a nurse) so I am usually pretty excited when I can create outfits for my day off or on the weekend! 
TN: What's your favorite thing in your closet to wear and why?  
E: I love flats. They're cute and sophisticated and (usually) comfy. I like how they add polish to an outfit without a lot of effort.

TN: Any shopping tips or fashion advice you'd like to share? 
E: Wear what you like. The people that look most put together and styled are often the ones who just know what they like and aren't afraid to wear it, even if it's not completely "in style" at the moment. Confidence goes a long way.

*   *   *   *   *

Love you, Rin! Thanks for inspiring me and putting up with me.

PS: All the photos in this post are by the talented Liz Fogarty (Erin's sister-in-law!). If you're interested in her work, check out her website here!

5 comments:

  1. love this post. Not completely sure how to word this, but I have this theory that places like American Eagle seem to create style for you rather than allow you to express yourself with their items. Would you agree? I haven't shopped at AE since high school nor do I desire to other than for jeans, dresses or shoes... I'm doing a major wardrobe overhaul as I'm realizing how many clothes I still own from high school and how little I can style them without looking either tacky or kiddie. Any thoughts...??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that's true to a degree, Linds! I mean, all stores are out to sell you their "look" - AE tends to be college campus type clothes, Anthropologie is artsy, H&M is chic European... etc. Anywhere you go, they'll try to create the look for you (and create brand loyalty). Which is why it's awesome when you can go into a store, find a piece or two that you like without feeling like you have to subscribe to the entire LOOK, and then incorporate those pieces into your closet to create your own look! And yeah... by getting dresses, jeans, and shoes there, but then shopping at other stores for the rest, it sounds like you've already figured that out and you're on your way to creating your own style.

      I hear you on the wardrobe overhaul to clean out the high school clothes - I did that a couple of years ago and it was really helpful. Some stuff you can still restyle, like you mentioned, but there does come a time where you have to move on a little bit, haha.

      Delete
    2. One of my favorite tricks with a branded sweater is to pin my silk scarf to the side, covering the logo. There's no way I want to be identified by somebody else's brand name. I'd much rather have my own style! This trick saves face and... well, clothes. :)

      Delete
    3. Great idea, Abs!! You don't have to sacrifice something good even if it has an annoying logo on it :D

      Delete
  2. Erin forgot to mention that she also picked up some MAJOR fashion tips and tricks from me. Those tips and tricks could pretty much fill up an entire second blog post. Simple things really, like how to brush your hair and not going outside in pajamas. haha :D

    LOVED this post and LOVE her!

    ReplyDelete