Friday, April 19, 2013

Girl Friday: Jenny

This is Jenny!
Jenny's style is a great mix of vintagey pieces, sweet patterns, and unique accessories. She always looks comfortable and able to relax/run around in her clothing (key when you have two little kids like she does!), while at the same time, put together and pretty. She's an amazing photographer, a musician, and an all-around creative, cool person. Hope you enjoy her interview!

*   *   *   *   *
The Twenty Ninth: Tell us a little bit about what you're currently doing.
Jenny: I am a mom to two wonderful and crazy kiddos. Edson is 2 1/2 and Clara is 10 months. I also write music with my husband and play my autoharp a lot. You can take a listen at motherchief.com.
TN: Describe your style in a few words or a phrase:
J: My style has changed a lot over the last 10 years. I was home-schooled so I was a late bloomer. But I would like to think I am a mix of vintage inspired and classic utilitarian mom.
TN: How has your style evolved over the years?
J: My husband has been my most harsh and loving critic. I was a total mess of styles when we met. I was living in California and honestly had very few influences. I just hadn't seen much of the world. I had no direction. He has helped me see that I can dress for my own comfort, but still dress in a way that flatters me and brings me joy. Plus he showed me sites like The Sartorialist, and a trip to Europe also helped. A woman we saw in Paris still haunts my dreams. 
TN: Any fun/embarrassing clothing mishaps or stories you want to share?
J: I was home-schooled. So my whole life.
TN: Who are your style influences?
J: My friends, sisters and whatever I find on Pinterest.
TN: Where's your favorite place to shop?
J: Urban, Zara, Madewell, Forever21, thrift stores, and Gap.
TN: How do you pick out an outfit?
J: I just start with a favorite piece or something I just want to wear and go from there.
TN: Which part of your look have you experimented with recently?
J: I have been wearing a lot of skirts and I love them. I also have been trying pattern mixing. I love mixing it up with stripes and florals a lot. 
TN: What's your favorite thing in your closet to wear, and why?
J: I just got a pair of Madewell stack-heeled sandals, and I must say they are amazing. I also love basic tees; they just go with anything! 
TN: Is there an article of clothing or type of shoes you wouldn't be caught dead in?
J: Flip-flops (my husband hates them).
TN: Do you have a favorite skincare or makeup product, or a favorite perfume?
J: I love Benefit and always will.
TN: Any shopping tips or fashion advice you'd like to share?
J: I would say hone your taste, get inspired, and fill your closet with pieces you love. Sometimes cheap is fine, but save and invest in good basics to mix with more trendy stuff.

*   *   *   *   *

Thanks for taking the time to interview, Jenny! I love how you credit and feed off of your husband's input for your style. It's always great to have an ally in a close friend or spouse who enjoys the creativity and art of style as much as you do.


Know someone who should be featured on The 29th? Interested in being interviewed yourself? Drop me a line: casey [at] thetwentyninth [dot] com. 

2 comments:

  1. sweetest Jenny! She always looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brown Madewell heels! Just bought those.

    Lovely Jenny <3

    ReplyDelete