Monday, April 15, 2013

Glitter Pumps -- NSFW?

via Viva Luxury
This question is from Lindsay:
"This past winter, I really wanted to buy these silver glitter pumps. They were a great fit and the perfect height for frequent walking -- great for work AND a night out. Struggling with the decision, I asked my husband what he thought. He said they were "too young." My primary goal this year has been to reshape my wardrobe as an adult, not a college student and younger. I put them back immediately without a thought. But, 3 months later, I still wish I had these. I'm wondering about all-glitter heels in general. Are they too "young"? How could these be made "adult"? Are they work-appropriate (I work in a very professional office at UMD, and make every effort to look older than the average college student) or childish? The title for these pumps contain the word "Barbie" -- even more cause for caution! Comments or thoughts?"
The shoes in question, from DSW
Glitter-covered heels are kind of a thing right now, so I think it's safe to say the standard of their acceptability has changed (I mean, if Louboutin makes glitter heels, they've got to have some element of class!). Unfortunately, these types of shoes have a "night at the club" stigma -- one that can be hard to break if you're not thinking carefully about what to wear them with -- so I understand why the idea of them being "too young" came up! However, I've seen some very mature, fashion-forward outfits (and am sharing some below) that feature sparkly footwear. I would say that they can be acceptable for an adult's wardrobe, and even work appropriate... but to help reign it in and stay on the more mature end of the spectrum, consider the following ideas:

Make sure your outfit is very, very polished and put together, and lean toward a more conservative look when wearing them. Keep the color of the glitter conservative:
1  //  2  //  3
Try a different shoe silhouette (like the open toe wedges in the pic below) rather than a classic high heel pump, so you don't evoke that classic Barbie/clubbing association:
via Macy's Tumblr

Try shoes that feature just one glittery part, like the heel or toe. 
Ruffled Blog  //  Chair Affair  //  Bows & Sequins

 What do you all think? I'm still going back and forth on this one!

4 comments:

  1. I think a part of the difficulty is the color. It seems like the gold glitter is more passable than the silver. Gold finishes are taking center-stage in general these days... I am still not sure either! Though I definitely agree that pairing them with a conservative, classic outfit is the way to go. Thank you for thinking through this for me preems!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's such a good point! Since gold is so in right now, I think silver has taken more of a backseat in the fashion realm, and therefore isn't as commonly acknowledged as "acceptable" right now. I say if you like silver, go for silver!

      Delete
  2. I have gold glitter loafers. Now, they aren't heels, but they did turn some heads at work. Not in a bad way. But they drew attention. I think if they weren't drastic heels, but slight more conservative it would totally be ok.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice. I agree. I'm all for making people do double takes :)

      Delete