Friday, April 26, 2013

Girl Friday: Melanie

Meet Melanie!
Many thanks to my friend Kelley for introducing us... I'm really loving Melanie's punk-rock'n'roll vintage style -- I think you will too!

*   *   *   *   *
The Twenty Ninth: Tell us a little bit about what you're currently doing.
Melanie: I currently work at a non-profit in Nashville, Tennessee called “Rocketown." The best way to describe what Rocketown is would be a YMCA meets Warp Tour and the X-games. We have 3 music venues. A garage where kids can learn how to work on cars and ride go-carts. An indoor skatepark. A music lab. A computer lab. An art lab. And a coffee bar that’s open 7 days a week for kids to come and just hang out. I work with teens and bands, but the highlight of my week is hosting a weekly “potluck” dinner. We have about 50 kids that come out for this each week. We all bring food, we all eat together, and then we sit around and have a discussion on life, faith, relationships, struggles, issues, and bottom line...sharing in life together! Loving them, encouraging them, and empowering them to live lives of destiny through faith, is the most incredible job ever! It just pays to give back to the next generation!
TN: Describe your style in a few words or a phrase:
M: My style depends on the day! I love vintage class, pin-up girl curls, with a twist of rock n’ roll in there! Some days it’s Converse Chuck Taylor’s, other days it’s cowboy boots, and some nights it’s wearing my favorite pair of Bordello’s! But bottom line: FUN!
TN: How has your style evolved over the years?
M: I started off more into the punk scene. Short bleached hair. Neon 80’s colors. Band t-shirts, thrift-store finds, and JNCO’s. (Yup! We all have our pictures we DON’T hang on our wall, and belong in the shoe box for a reason.) Today, I feel most comfortable in jeans and a tank top, and a bandana.

TN: Any fun/embarrassing clothing mishaps or stories you want to share?
M:  One time in high school I was at the beach with my best friend. My bathing suit didn’t have any padding in it, so I used clear packing tape to “cover the girls." Unfortunately, I didn’t realize that tape doesn’t hold up well in the ocean, and before long the 2 pieces of clear tape were floating in the water beside me. One of the guys we were with (who also happened to be my long time middle and high school crush) picked one of the pieces of tape up and said, “What is this?!” I pretended it was some form of ocean trash, but internally was mortified! He picked up my bathing suit, make-shift padding/tape!
TN: Who are your style influences?
M: Hmmm...I’d have to say women from the 1950’s. They are classy. Modest. And have such feminie allure. I also like to change it up some days and do the 1980’s rock n’ roll leggings, cut up t-shirts, etc... I love aspects of Kat Von D’s wardrobe and shoe collection!
TN: Where's your favorite place to shop?
M:  I love J.Crew, Forever 21, H&M, Black Milk Clothing, and honestly any store that grabs my attention.
TN: How do you pick out an outfit?
M:  I honestly just look at what others are wearing and adapt aspects of it for myself. I’ll copy this... change that... and just try and make it my own. I’m not a fashion trendsetter. I just like to copy and modify!
TN: Which part of your look have you experimented with recently?
M:  I bought this gorgeous mint green, pleated, oversized halter top. It’s so flowy and elegant and it’s the first time I’ve ever worn that color. I’m in LOVE!

TN: What's your favorite thing in your closet to wear, and why?
M: I have a mini black leather jacket that I’ve had for years. Hands down my favorite jacket.
TN: Is there an article of clothing or type of shoes you wouldn't be caught dead in?
M:  YES! Ugg boots and sweatpants with words on the butt! I don’t know where that trend came from but it’s gotta stop!

TN: Do you have a favorite skincare or makeup product, or a favorite perfume?
M:  I LOOOOVE the “Diptyque” line of lotion, candles and perfume. It smells like heaven! The perfume “Eau Duelle” is my favorite! Also, DIOR’s mascara “Diorshow-Extase” is the most incredible mascara ever!
TN: Any shopping tips or fashion advice you'd like to share?
M:  Working at a non-profit means you work there because you’re passionate about the work...but not because of the paycheck. I live on a very tight budget. I look through catalogs, online, Instagram, you name it and just try to modify the expensive look... and make it work with my income. I can’t afford to shop at J.Crew every couple months... but I can look elsewhere, and try and duplicate the look for less.
*   *   *   *   *

Thanks for interviewing, Melanie, and for sharing your inspiring style and life with us!

Know someone who should be featured on The 29th? Interested in being interviewed yourself? Drop me a line: casey [at] thetwentyninth [dot] com. 

No comments:

Post a Comment