Friday, January 4, 2013

Girl Friday: Chelsea

Hey everyone, meet Chelsea!
I knew I had to ask Chelsea for an interview: she's one of the few people who I consistently re-pin on Pinterest, and every time I see a new outfit she's come up with, I'm inspired to try something a little bit different than I usually would. She's got a great eye for layering and an amazing wardrobe... and an adorable kid named Kingston (pictured above). Hope you enjoy reading her answers and seeing her unique take on style!

*   *   *   *   *  

The Twenty Ninth: Tell us a little bit about what you're currently up to.
Chelsea: I currently am a stay at home mom and live in Louisville, KY with my husband Jacob, and my son Kingston Ryle.

TN: Describe your style in a few words or a phrase.
C: My husband loves all things Madewell and J.Crew. I love all things Free People. So I guess it's a mixture of both. :) 

TN: How has your style evolved over the years? 
C: I never considered myself to be artistic, but once I realized I could be artistic in the way that I dress, I started having a lot more fun with what I wear.

TN: Any fun/embarrassing clothing mishaps or stories you want to share?
C: I will never leave my house in an outfit that doesn't feel right. So those days when there's a problem with every piece in my closet. I'm grateful for a patient and understanding husband. This has caused us to be late on more then a few occasions. :)


TN: Who are your style influences?
C: I get most of my style influences from people that I don't know but stalk on Instagram and online. Also, I get a lot of inspiration from people I see while I'm out. It's one thing to wear an outfit for a photo, it's another to actually wear it.

TN: Where's your favorite place to shop?
C: Nordstrom Rack! I would shop there every day if I could. Probably 90% of my wardrobe is from there. I think its biggest draw is that there's normally only a few of each piece which means the chances of seeing someone else in it are slim. Also, I LOVE a good deal. Also, we have the only Zappos outlet 20 minutes from our house and I have found some of the best deals there.

TN: How do you pick out an outfit?
C: I normally have at least one thing in my closet that is new or that I've never worn before (yes, I'm a shopaholic!), so I normally start with that piece and work around it.

TN: What's your favorite thing in your closet to wear and why?
C: Sweatpants, yoga pants, and t-shirts. Haha. I don't think there's one piece that's my favorite. I love layering clothes, and have a lot of fun experimenting putting different pieces together.

TN: Is there an article of clothing or type of shoes you wouldn't be caught dead in?
C: I thought it was Uggs, but then I just went out and got my first pair, so I've learned to never to say never. :)

TN: Do you have a favorite skincare or makeup product, or a favorite perfume?
C: I've been experimenting with apple cider vinegar, coconut oil, and baking soda as a natural skincare regimen. If it doesn't work out, I'll go back to my beloved Kiehls :). So far so good though.

TN: Any shopping tips or fashion advice you'd like to share?
C: Never be afraid to try something new... just because your friends aren't wearing it doesn't mean you shouldn't. Also, if you're confident in what you're wearing, you can pull almost anything off. I rarely wear just a pants and shirt, but always try to add something to make it a little more exciting and unexpected. That's one thing I love about Free People... they always add unexpected details to each piece of clothing, whether it be neon stitching on a plain shirt, or a thermal with lace on the sleeves.


*   *   *   *   *

Thanks for interviewing Chelsea! I particularly liked what you said about how it's one thing to see someone wearing an outfit in a photo, but it's another thing to actually wear it. People who are actually out and about wearing awesome clothes can be a lot more inspiring than staged photographs, and are immediate proof of an outfit's wearability.

Know someone who should be featured on The 29th? Interested in being interviewed yourself? Drop me a line: casey [at] thetwentyninth [dot] com.

No comments:

Post a Comment