Sunday, January 13, 2013

People Watching: The 2013 Golden Globes

Let's talk Golden Globes! I'm kind of a real girl when it comes to Red Carpet events -- the dresses are just too fun to look at... and ooh & ahh/gag over with friends via text (ahem, Elise, Janet, Kelley). Let's start with favorites:
  • Michelle Dockery's regal gold & white Alexandre Vauthier gown caught my attention especially -- the colors and style were perfect for her and the occasion. Flattering in every way.
  • Kate Hudson's Alexander McQueen dress came in second for me -- the gold detailing at the unusual but rockstar collar and the classy black silhouette worked really well.

While the above were my favorite style-wise, I also loved the following dresses for their color schemes and detailing: 
  • Julianne Hough in a Monique Lhuillier gown: Along with her hair, the combination was girly and princess-y. Sometimes you just can't beat a super girly dress... if you can't wear something like this on the red carpet, where can you wear it?!
  • Lucy Liu in Carolina Herrera: Definitely a bold move on her part, as this was pretty much the only (colored) print I saw last night. I love both the color scheme and how different it is. Again, the way her hair is styled completes the look. 
  • Carly Steel's gown made the list because I loved the contrast of the colored beading/sequins up top with the simple flowy white skirt. It's different, sophisticated, and fun in an indie glam kind of way.
  • Jessica Alba in Oscar de la Renta: The color/cut of her dress plus the color of her lipstick, and that necklace? Pretty much flawless. I could do without the clutch though.


And my picks for worst dresses of the night?

  • Sienna Miller in Erdem: She looks like a 5 year old's birthday party meets the worst mother of the bride dress ever.
  • Taylor Swift in Donna Karan: Umm... the top. I wanted a dress with straps like that when I was 14. Need I say more?
  • Rosario Dawson's toothpaste-blue peplum number was cut oddly at the top. Plus it didn't do her middle/hips any favors.
And then there's Emily Mortimer's silver sequin gown, for which there are very few words. And those words are "armor," "eww," and "why?"

Which were your favorite dresses? Which would you never, ever wear?

6 comments:

  1. anne hathaway
    kerry washington-i wish the slip was longer though.
    amy adams
    and i sorta had a thing for nicole richie's.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved Anne Hathaway's complete look - she rocks a pixie cut like no one else. I wasn't too crazy about the 2-piece of it all.

      I almost included Nicole Richie! The color mixed with that pattern was pretty cool.

      Delete
  2. I loved Amy Adam's dress but thought it was a bad color choice for her...she looked naked. And loved Anne Hathaway's except that it was a two piece. It looked matronly and a tad unflattering.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought the same about Amy Adams. It was pretty but a little too nude of a color.

      Delete
  3. Kate was my favorite. I had mega dress envy as soon as I saw her. It's a gorgeous gown and fit her wooonderfully. My second favorite was Emily Blunt. I love cut-outs when they work and I think they really did on her. I also liked Emily's styling (neutral makeup, sleek pulled back bun, pop of color in the earrings).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Emily Blunt's was definitely pretty! It wasn't my favorite color choice personally, but the cut-outs were super cool. Glad to know I'm not alone with Kate's dress! I looked it up immediately :)

      Delete