Friday, January 11, 2013

Girl Friday: Julie

This is Julie!
Julie is one of the first friends who got me thinking outside the box when it comes to fashion (and good eats: this girl is a very adventurous foodie -- check out her blog for more on that). We used to work together, and I'd always eagerly wait to see what she'd be wearing each day at the office. Her history in the fashion industry fascinated me (she's worked shows at Fashion Week!), and she very kindly shared insights and tips and encouraged my love of fun and interesting clothes. Enjoy her interview!

*   *   *   *   *  

The Twenty Ninth: Tell us a little bit about your background in fashion.
Julie: My mother opened up a women's clothing store when I was in 4th grade,  nd that was when my interest in fashion began. In high school I started taking trips with her to New York City to check out merchandise, and helped her in her decision-making process for some of the products that were being selected. For a while I really thought that I would be very directly involved with the fashion industry, but knowing the uncertainty of a steady job being a fashion designer, I decided to pursue the business aspect of fashion. So for college I went to Fashion Institute of Technology in New York City, and “enlightenment” could be the easiest word to describe my perspective on fashion. My professors were veterans: buyers at Macy's and Bergdorf Goodman, advertising managers for major fashion houses, and well known “fashion forecasters.” (Like weather forecasters, these guys were paid to consult with fashion houses about what would be the next trends. For example, one professor told us that 80’s were coming back (to the extreme horror of the class), and this was in 2002.) I had the privilege of working at some fashion shows during Fashion Week. Some of the shows that I worked for were Tommy Hilfiger, Kenneth Cole, Ralph Lauren, and other smaller names. The general public thinks we wear what is dictated as trendy by magazines and fashion designers, but what most people do not realize is that these designers are inspired mostly by the people they see on the streets. If you live in NYC long enough, you realize that the trendsetters are the ones that already know what their style is, and absolutely fight conformity of the general public. That is still what I try to aspire to.

TN: Describe your style in a few words or a phrase.
J: A feminine oxymoron. I love combining things that make no sense at first, and then -- surprise!! For example: an extremely girly, frilly dress paired with men's aviator sunglasses and a biker's chain for a necklace.


TN: How has your style evolved over the years? 
J: At first it was very glamorous and preppy. I always wanted things to match and look super made up. Then I started living in NYC, and discovered comfort is always what makes you feel the most beautiful. And its all about individualism there, so it was more about expressing what you were feeling at the moment and actually fighting against the trends to preserve your individuality. So I have to admit, things got a little out of hand there sometimes (suede pants anybody??). Now, working in the corporate world, I'm still learning how to express my individuality while maintaining a professional appearance with clients and vendors -- for example, I'll do things like wear a dress suit but have camouflage nails, or suit pants and a crewneck sweater but with a leather biker jacket. It's always a mix of absolute classic, with a hint of fun.


TN: Any fun/embarrassing clothing mishaps or stories you want to share?
J: So I mentioned the brown suede pants. There were also Jnco jeans from my middle school days, and brightly colored Nautica and Tommy Hilfiger men's coats that I thought were the "da bomb." (Like the 90's reference?)


TN: Who are your style influences?
J: My mom. She used to have a women's clothing store which got me into fashion in the first place. She and my grandmother were the ones that got me into statement jewelry. Other influences include Audrey Hepburn and Kate Middleton's classic, clean-cut style, Elizabeth Taylor's bold sultry style, Gwen Stefani and Angelina Jolie's straight shooter style, and Victoria Beckham's no nonsense, high-power and super-tailored style. Also, Gwyneth Paltrow has been surprising me lately: her style used to bore me, but I am starting to realize the genius behind her simplicity. It's super sophisticated and modern without being stuffy.
TN: Where's your favorite place to shop?
J: H&M. People don't realize there is true innovation behind their marketing. They were one of the first pioneers in trying to get major designers to the common public. To get Stella McCartney, Karl Lagerfeld, and Donatella Versace designs to the general public was unheard of before them. The only one close enough is Target partnering with Isaac Mizrahi, but I've never been a fan of his anyways so that doesn't count. I also like Gap and J.Crew for classic pieces that will last forever, and Forever 21 for trendy clothes that only need to last one season. Of course, if I had an unlimited budget, my favorites would be BCBG, ZARA, Alexander McQueen, LAMB and Modcloth.


TN:
How do you pick out an outfit?
J: Completely depends on my mood and schedule. I'm an event planner, so I have to be strategic with my outfits. If I have an event that day, usually I'll make sure I wear something with pockets, and flats or comfortable heels. Sometimes I'll wear something to make me stand out so if a client needs to find me, I can say, "I'm wearing bright yellow pants." (Actually I just did that yesterday for an event.) On the weekends, it depends on if I feel like wearing something romantic, fierce and masculine, or just comfortable. Of course on date nights with the hubby, I like to wear something super girly -- but ironically, he likes me in more masculine styles. So sometimes I veer more towards that. It's a form of expression, so I just have fun with it.   

TN: Which part of your look have you experimented with recently?
J: My hair and makeup! I've always done the same three styles with my hair as long as I could remember, and I'm trying to experiment with them. When it comes to my makeup, I have monolids (Asian eyes with no creases) and I always felt like my options were limited because of that. No one really understands unless they have them. But I'm starting to be a little bit more adventurous with eye wear, and I've started wearing dark red lipstick since I feel like I'm old enough now. I've also really been intrigued by the really fun, more feminine and structured goth style jewelry I've seen coming out recently. 

TN: What's your favorite thing in your closet to wear and why?
J: My asymmetrical leather biker jacket: it just gives the right modern edge to any outfit I wear. I can wear it with a plain outfit and a beanie and it's an automatic modern outfit. I can wear it with a super frilly dress and heels to tone down the girliness of it. My nude pumps: the color of the nude blends in with your legs and makes your legs look much longer! I also recently got a cute pair of black booties with elastic edging on the top and ½ inch inside platform that I love. Super comfortable!!


TN: Do you have a favorite skincare or makeup product, or a favorite perfume?
J: Organic, unprocessed shea butter: my skin gets so dry in the winter and nothing seems to help it but this. I also read somewhere to start using honey as facial cleanser. I was really skeptical at first, but I absolutely love it! My skin comes out feeling so soft, and not dry like after other cleansers. If you are willing try, make sure that you use organic, raw honey as the nutrients in it will be absorbed by your skin and help heal it. Another favorite: I got a nude lipstick from Bare Minerals that I'm obsessed with. It matches your skin tone, and changes color to fit your skin's natural color after you put it on.


TN: Any shopping tips or fashion advice you'd like to share?
J: A couple things:
  • Start really studying your body. Understand which things work for you and which things don't. For example, I know that pencil skirts will make me look taller and skinnier depending on where they start at my waist. I also know that since my back curves a little and is more "big boned" if you will, empire waist shirts and dresses are a no for me. It just makes me look like I am pregnant, which is not what you want if you aren't.  
  • I cannot emphasize enough the importance of tailoring: for every fashion ad, magazine spread, and runway show, they all do a "fitting" for the models. What you don't see are clips in the back, and safety pins here and there to tailor the garment. At fashion shows, they literally have assistants running around with a needle and thread for last minute adjustments. And if a supermodel who is 110 lbs and 6 feet tall needs a fitting/tailoring, don’t think that we all won’t benefit from it as well! 
  • Don't get something just because it's on sale. I've wasted a lot of money "trying to save money."
  • Finally, if you have any interest in fashion, start reading books on the history of fashion and start learning about it. It’s fascinating to know and understand why certain things were created in a specific way, and it can help you with your own style as well.


*   *   *   *   *


Well, I just learned a lot! Julie, thanks for interviewing and sharing your unique perspective. My favorite quote (which I bolded above): "...what most people do not realize is that these designers are inspired mostly by the people they see on the streets." How cool is that? Style and fashion are dictated by the people!


Know someone who should be featured on The 29th? Interested in being interviewed yourself? Drop me a line: casey [at] thetwentyninth [dot] com.

No comments:

Post a Comment