Friday, January 25, 2013

Girl Friday: Jenevieve

This is Jenevieve!
Jenevieve is another amazing young mom with great style (but you don't have to be a mom to appreciate her style). I love how she always manages to look cute and stylish while chasing after her adorable little son, Rafe.

She's also an expert at dressing well for her petite frame, as you'll see in the pictures below and in detail next week -- she very kindly helped me with the content of my mini blog series on fashion and styling for petites! Stay tuned for that, starting Monday!

But for now, without further ado -- here's Jenevieve's interview. Enjoy!

*   *   *   *   *
The Twenty Ninth: Tell us a little bit about what you're currently up to.
Jenevieve: I stay at home with my super busy toddler.
TN: Describe your style in a few words or a phrase:
J: Practical chic.
TN: How has your style evolved over the years?
J: To be honest, my style has developed as my budget allows. I feel that I have been fairly resourceful through the years, but have always had a taste for more expensive, finer quality pieces. I'm finally getting to the point where I can start purchasing choice items here and there. I'd really like to make the move to a wardrobe full of quality rather than quantity. Here in England, we also have a tiny wardrobe (no built-in closets) so that has encouraged me to do a lot of purging as well!

TN: Who are your style influences?
J: As blasé as it sounds, I really love the Duchess of Cambridge's style. It is sophisticated with just the right amount of trend. I also have to say that my friends and the people around me are my primary influences. I love seeing what people put together, and it encourages me to try and find new ways to wear certain items I already have.
TN: Where's your favorite place to shop?
J: Probably Gap. It just has a lot of great classic pieces that I can trend almost any way I want because their clothes are so versatile. Most of their items (except for pants) fit me really well, which is fantastic for a petite. I also really like H&M for my more trendy pieces. Like most other girls I also really love J.Crew, but unfortunately a lot of their things just don't fit me right. *sigh*
TN: How do you pick out an outfit?
J: I usually just pick one item that I feel like wearing -- whether it's a top, pants, or necklace -- and create my outfit around that one item.

TN: Which part of your look have you experimented with recently?
J: I've really been loving the rural England chic look. I love wearing my cotton or chambray blouses with sweaters, scarves, and boots. I'm always aspiring to accessorize with jewelry more though.
TN: What's your favorite thing in your closet to wear, and why?
J: I recently got some Hunter wellies for Christmas. I've been drooling over this one pair for at least a year, and now I have them! So, not only have I been wearing them a lot, but they are SO practical too. I see people wearing wellies every day, so I don't stand out like I might in the States wearing wellies on a non-rainy day.
TN: Is there an article of clothing or type of shoes you wouldn't be caught dead in?
J: Chunky clogs and studded belts. I just don't get the chunky shoe look, even if they aren't clogs. Maybe it's because I have skinny ankles and anything chunky just looks ridiculous on me. And studded belts... just not my thing.

TN: Do you have a favorite skincare or makeup product, or a favorite perfume?
J: I was given some Burt's Bees Radiance facial moisturizer that I really like. Oh, and also there's this almond oil by L'Occitane that is AMAZING, especially if you are pregnant and don't want stretch marks. But really, it just hydrates your skin really well and makes it feel amazing and soft.
TN: Any shopping tips or fashion advice you'd like to share?
J: Ha, I'm still trying to figure it out myself! One thing that has helped me is to ask a friend where they got "x item" if I really like it. I have been surprised sometimes where my friends get things, and it encourages me to look other places that I wouldn't think to check out.
 
*   *   *   *   *

As she mentioned, Jenevieve and her little family are currently living in England due to her husband's job. In her spare time, she maintains a blog about their life across the pond and her little home called Halcyon Homestead.

Know someone who should be featured on The 29th? Interested in being interviewed yourself? Drop me a line: casey [at] thetwentyninth [dot] com. 

2 comments: