Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Finding the Perfect Sunglasses

via Pinterest
Much like my treacherous relationship with sandals in February, my relationship with sunglasses also seems to be cursed.

If I find a pair I kind of love, I dive into the ocean with them propped on my head in a moment of fashion forgetfulness. If I try a pair on at the store and they look amazing, when I bring them home, I look like a bug. If I try to be spontaneous and buy an obnoxious pair on a fashion-crazed whim, I ultimately regret it all summer and push the silly glasses further into the glove compartment in an attempt to forget my idiocy.

While waiting very patiently for me the other day as I tried pair after pair of sunglasses at Urban Outfitters, David asked if there were style rules behind picking ones that work for your face shape and size. I'd always heard that you should look for lenses over which you can still see part of your eyebrows. But it was time to do some research. What was I missing?

According to this article found on Glamour's website, the key is to "Choose sunglasses with features opposite to your own face!" I also found this article on You Beauty to be really helpful (and a tad more specific). But in general, if your face is...  









 Round: Go for something more angular/square and avoid circular frames.


via Pinterest































Square or Rectangular: Look for sunglasses that are more rounded, and 
steer clear of sharp angular frames.

via Style Bistro




















































 






Heart-Shaped: Try to find frames that balance your narrower chin and broader forehead -- Glamour suggests wire frames or bottom-heavy shades.










Oval or Oblong: You can rock pretty much any type of frame. Slightly wider frames are recommended in order to balance out the length of your face.














































So based on this info, it looks like I need to try a more rounded frame, since I have a rectangular face. I can tell you right now I will NOT be rocking Lennon shades, but I'm going to look for something with more rounded curves rather than something boxy and square, and see what I can find. (Apparently cat-eye frames work well on rectangular faces? Yikes. Not sure about that one.)

I'll let you know if I land on a pair or style that finally ends up working!

No comments:

Post a Comment