Tuesday, March 12, 2013

From Yoga to Work: Outfit On-the-Go

via Pinterest
Hannah left the following comment:
As a college student I have a very hectic, ever-changing "schedule." I'll often go straight from yoga to school to work (making deliveries to clients of an interior designer), then out to babysit for a family or hang out with friends in the evening. I rarely have time to stop by my house to freshen up or get changed, so I find that I live out of my car a lot.

Any ideas for versatile outfits that can accommodate loose, flexible materials for yoga, look presentable for work, AND allow me to get messy while keeping up with toddlers? 
Quite the girl-on-the-go! I don't know if I can offer a one-outfit-fits-all solution, but here are few practical ways to think through how to dress for your day:
on the go
  • For yoga: Keep your yoga gear versatile and simple. Invest in a nice, well-fitting pair of yoga pants in a sophisticated color (black or dark gray). That way, you can wear the pants for more than just yoga (again, as long as they're well-fitting and not scrubby!) -- specifically for babysitting, and occasionally, for school. In terms of tops, consider ones with built in bras, etc. that you could possibly wear under other pieces, or just a basic tank top that can be easily layered later on.
  • For school: If you don't have time to change, go for that sporty but still put together "I just came from yoga" look. Consider a slouchy tee that can be worn off the shoulder, or a cute knit sweater that works with your yoga pants (could be an over-sized cardigan; could be an open-knit pullover). A denim jacket is a another good option. For days where you have a minute to spare, keep a pair of jeans or even a jersey maxi skirt in your car and throw one or the other on with the tee/sweater.
  • For work: Depending on your dress code for work, this is where you'll probably want to take a second to throw on a pair of jeans or nice pants (or a maxi skirt!). If the sweater/cardigan I suggested above is nice enough, that could also work double-duty. A blazer or other cute jacket (or even a denim/chambray button down) thrown over the slouchy t-shirt would also work.
  • For babysitting: Back to the yoga/school gear! Yoga pants make chasing after kids a breeze.
I realize I may be damaging my fashion-cred here by advocating wearing yoga pants around town, but let's be practical, people.

Another simple solution that comes to mind is, since you're living out of your car most days to begin with, it could be a good idea to just keep a few basic staples (i.e. jeans, tees, a blouse) hanging in the backseat, ready for quick changes. You might even put together a mini makeup kit for your glove compartment, so you can freshen up before your next activity.

I wish I had some magic formula to offer, but hopefully these tips will help a little. I'd love to hear other reader's thoughts on this as well -- share your ideas in the comments below!

4 comments:

  1. I often wear leggings for yoga, and will just change my top or add another layer afterward. Leggings are so versatile! You could add a dress or skirt, or wear a tunic (leggings and cotton tunics are very comfy and popular for yoga anyway). So that's my two cents :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, Jenevieve, I'm totally having a "DUH" moment - leggings is a brilliant idea!! I'm glad you said something!

      Delete
  2. very helpful. i should keep clothes in the back of my car more often. that would make things easy for a quick change when i have the time. and i like the legging idea too!

    thanks!

    ReplyDelete