Monday, March 11, 2013

The Curse of the February Sandals

via Target Does It Again
It's not my fault. It's because of those sneaky 60 degree days that just pop up all of a sudden in the middle of February and early March and remind you that there is life after snowstorms. I. I. I. Just can't help myself. Especially when rows of new sandals at Target whisper their summer siren song, begging me to try them on... to smell their fake leather new shoe smell... to take them home...

The past two years, I've been suckered. I bought sandals in February, convinced that when April or May rolled around and I could finally wear them, that I would LOVE them. That I would wear them with EV-eryTHING. That I would be SO glad I grabbed them at the store before they went out of stock.

Not so. It is a curse. But still, I buy them. I buy those sandals, convincing myself with thoughts like, "It's a promise of SPRING! It'll remind me that warm weather is coming! They'll bring happiness! They'll break the monotony and despair of 40 degree days!"

And then something happens between the rest of February and throughout the cursed month of March. The wait for spring seems interminable. The weather continues to be frigid. And the brilliance and perfection of the promise-sandals die a slow sad death as they wait in my closet.

Then one day, when it's balmy and perfect, I try on everything I possibly can in an effort to make those dang sandals work. And they don't. I wear them once or twice, trying to appease my buyer's remorse, all the while mourning my muddled winter-headed stupidity in buying those ridiculous sandals. I swear I won't do it again next year.

But so like these sandals just showed up at Target, and I like you know like really like them and think they'll be like so versatile and I can already picture what I'd wear them with and I think I should buy them now even though it'll be weeks before I can wear them, but I know I'll regret it if I don't, and it was so warm this weekend...

Besides, it's March now, not February, so I'm safe, right? Good, because I bought them. Now all I need is a pedicure!! Aaaaand sandal weather. But that's beside the point. Reckless abandon here.

Happy Monday; go get yourself some sandals!

4 comments:

  1. so, so true....they seem so right out of context!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadly, yes. But I am actually pretty excited/hopeful about the ones I just got. I have about 5 outfits already that I can wear them with, so that's something ;) Hopefully I'm older and wiser and know myself better now? Hahaha.

      Delete
  2. oh my gosh, yes. i saw this jumble of fun sandles in target in february and i wanted to take home all of them. i'm saving up for my first pair of rainbows though. :P

    ReplyDelete