Friday, March 22, 2013

Girl Friday: Kendra

This is the one and only Kendra!
I've known Kendra as a faraway friend for years now -- though never close, I've always admired her spunk, energy, and outgoing personality. And her outfits, which reflect all of those aspects! Enjoy her interview, below.

*   *   *   *   *
The Twenty Ninth: Tell us a little bit about what you're currently up to.
Kendra: I’m single, in my early 30’s (I think that is the first time I’ve actually typed that out. Yikes), working in a pretty conservative office. We are allowed to be somewhat casual, but it’s still a bit… buttoned up. I sometimes go out after work to spend times with friends, grab dinner, or run errands. So I need to wear things that can easily transition.
TN: Describe your style in a few words or a phrase:
K: Easy, comfortable, work appropriate, yet able to transition quickly. Female Bob Dylan with a hint of Punky Brewster. Well, not really Punky Brewster anymore… I got over that when I was 8 for the most part.


TN: How has your style evolved over the years?
K: I used to just find something I liked at Old Navy and get it in numerous bright colors. I wore what I felt like I should wear based on what everyone else was doing. Now, I have a better idea of what I like, what looks good on me, and when to take risks. I was shocked when I realized that I prefer darker colors. Especially since before, I would buy every bright and spring color I could find. It seriously looked like RainbowBrite puked in my closet. Now my wardrobe is full of black and gray pieces that I pair with small pops of color or sparkle. Tiny bits of neon is a current favorite. I’m more confident with mixing patterns, coming up with different combinations, and when to throw in something unexpected. But I still get in ruts of cycling through the same few things. And I’m always happy to just not try and wear my favorite hoodie and sweats.
TN: Any fun/embarrassing clothing mishaps or stories you want to share?
K: I live in very… posh side of town. My area is full of classy southern women who don’t leave the house without a full face of make-up and designer clothes. Our “upscale” mall is down the street from my house and is where the closest Chipotle is located. So often, I’ll park at Neiman Marcus and roll through in my sweats, pajamas, or work-out clothes if I’m craving a burrito bowl for dinner. Those women look like they are going to faint when they see me, lookin’ fly in my comfy pants and flip-flops as they are trying on their Chanel coats and Manolo Blahnik heels.
TN: Who are your style influences?
K: Charlotte Gainsbourg is my favorite!! I’m pretty obsessed with her across the board. I love her easy, glamorous, yet bada$$ style. I also love Francoise Hardy, Bob Dylan, Nico, Annie Hall, Rachel Bilson, Elizabeth Olsen with a hint of Beyonce mixed in. You need Beyonce’s fierceness thrown in from time to time. Basically, my goal as of my last birthday is to dress like I could’ve been Mick Jagger's French girlfriend in the mid 1960’s. 


TN: Where's your favorite place to shop?
K: I have a VERY small clothing budget, so I go for really cheap. Forever 21, H&M, Target, Urban Outfitters, ASOS, and thrift stores.
TN: How do you pick out an outfit?
K: In all honesty, it’s based on how lazy I’m feeling that day. I often will make a deal with myself that if I can decide what to wear right when my alarm goes off, I can go back to sleep for another 15 minutes. It works! But also what the weather is like and if I have plans after work.
TN: Which part of your look have you experimented with recently?
K: Like I said, I tried to go for a more French-tough-yet-feminine look with my birthday resolution. Trying to make that work-appropriate has been an adventure. I think I’ve figured it out for the most part… it’s just hard to keep it from looking boring. So I’ve also thrown in fun elements with it (Example: Black jeans, black platform wedges, black blazer and black shirt with tiny unicorns printed all over it).
TN: What's your favorite thing in your closet to wear, and why?
K: Cardigans are a staple for me. They are my go-to when it comes to layers. They can make something that would normally be too casual or revealing and make it work-appropriate. And they help with mixing & matching outfits. I’m also pretty infatuated with my glitter gold loafers that I got at Target this fall. They add a little extra Beyonce-ness to each outfit. And, most importantly, my black fake-leather moto jacket. When I wear it with a basic gray t-shirt, my jeans, black flats and dirty hair, I feel just like Charlotte Gainsbourg.

TN: Is there an article of clothing or type of shoes you wouldn't be caught dead in?
K: I can’t really wear boots because I have really short legs. They make my legs look like tree stumps. I wish I could pull them off, but it just isn’t going to happen. There are other things I swore I’d never wear, but over time, it ended up happening! I said I’d never wear animal print clothes. But for my 30th birthday I found an awesome leopard print dress from Forever 21. It was unexpected and looked great on. I also ended up wearing it to a Christmas party with a dark green cardigan over it.
TN: Do you have a favorite skincare or makeup product, or a favorite perfume?
K: I’m not very monogamous when it comes to products. Even if something works really well, I tend to think that maybe something else could work even better. The only thing I’ve really stuck with is actually a haircare product. Oribe Apres Beach spray is incredible. I use it to mess up my curls a bit, give them some texture and shine, and the smell is awesome. I’m pretty stingy with it because it’s not cheap. But I adore it. Oh, I’ve also just started using BB cream. I normally don’t wear face-makeup. Just eye stuff. I don’t like the way it feels or how it looks. And this is going to sound super braggy, but I’ve never really needed face make-up. Just under-eye stuff to hide dark circles on nights I stayed up too late watching Say Yes to the Dress re-runs on Netflix. Recently I sampled the Bobby Brown’s BB cream to see what all the fuss was about and didn’t like it… but funny enough I really love the Maybelline version! It is light and gives just enough coverage without looking like you’re wearing makeup. It’s magic.
TN: Any shopping tips or fashion advice you'd like to share?
K: Over the years my biggest frustration was that clothes don’t look the same on me as they do others. I’m short and curvy with hips that won’t quit. And that is a really huge challenge when it comes to shopping. Often it would lead to me in tears in the dressing room. I’d find something that I saw online or on someone else, love it, but realize it looked like a trash bag on me. It was really discouraging. So, I had to learn how to shop for me. That’s my advice. Learn how to shop for your shape, your style and budget. Don’t compare those things to anyone else. Maybe someone has a different shape than you. Maybe someone looks better in a color than you do. Maybe someone has a bigger shopping budget than you. Don’t get discouraged looking at that. Be patient with shopping, be willing to leave emptyhanded. Don’t shop when you are tired or emotional. That can be a disaster! Try things on that you normally wouldn’t. You might be surprised! And shop places where you can return something! For example, you can’t return Forever 21 items in store, but if you order from them online, you can ship returns! That has been a life saver on a few occasions! 


*   *   *   *   *

Thank you for interviewing, Kendra -- keep "lookin' fly in your comfy pants & flip flops." I'll join you! Read more from and about Kendra on her blog, Avocados & Diet Coke!

All photos are by Jessica Paul.

Know someone who should be featured on The 29th? Interested in being interviewed yourself? Drop me a line: casey [at] thetwentyninth [dot] com. 

2 comments: