Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Collage: Architectural Holiday

I've had more card orders come in, so I'll be showing you a few of my recent collages over the next few days/weeks. Oooh aaaah. Feel free to keep in mind that I'm a "learning" artist?
To be honest, the card below got away from me a little. I started out with the idea of "rustic holiday" and put the wood background with the twinkle lights, but it was too flat and was begging for some texture. I built out the holiday idea by adding some plaid. It also needed some interest, some kind of quirk. But here's the thing... when you're making cards for people that you don't know very well, and you're making them to be given by someone other than yourself... you have to be a little more tame than usual. 
I did go ahead and add the cartoony little street light, to mirror the twinkle lights, and because the word theme I ended up going with was "especially bright," I threw on a volcano as well -- it's small enough that hopefully it'll make you smile when you squint at the card, but won't be too obnoxious at first glance.

I'm still learning how to be appropriately tame for my customer's sake without sacrificing my voice. Not sure if I'm succeeding. Art friends, chime in!

In any case -- the twinkle lights make me excited for the holidays! As we like to say in the Tiren household (thanks to my lispy little sister Emma) happy Hanksgiving everyone!

3 comments:

  1. Are these one-of-a-kind, or do you reproduce them with a copier?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're all one of kind! I pick the pieces specifically, place them, and glue them all, each time I make a collage :D

      Delete
    2. But a lot of times, if you see something you like, I can create something similar to a previous design.

      Delete