Monday, November 19, 2012

Hi-Low, Goodbye

A reader asked me to dish on the current hi-low skirt/dress fad. I have to admit, I'm about 25% Yes and 75% No on this one. I mean... any trend that's called "a mullet skirt" behind its back is bound to have some issues.

25% Yes: For a formal event, I can see a hi-low skirt being very dramatic. This is probably the only scenario I might consider wearing one. Actually... that's not true... if I were a nomadic gypsy with a floppy felt hat and bangles, I could also see wearing a hi-low skirt as I traversed across the western United States in search of that perfect desert moonbeam.

75% No: I think my Aunt Mary Beth (who likes to sarcastically comment on many of my style pins on Pinterest -- she's allowed; she's hilarious) said what most of the world is thinking when it comes to the hi-low trend: "Do you think she knows someone cut the front out of her skirt?"

To which I responded that it really is like the Sharon-gets-back-at-Susan dance scene in The Parent Trap, just reversed:
I don't mean to be insensitive if you do like this trend and have found that it works for you, but honestly, every time I see a girl trying to pull this off in broad daylight it looks forced -- like she's trying too hard to be "fashionable." There are some instances where the high-to-low gradient is subtle enough where this look does work fine. But skirts that are practically a mini in the front and a maxi in the back make the wearer look like she's being followed by a rainbow version of Halley's Comet (which brings the total number of Hayleys referenced in this post to 2).

To each his own -- as I've said before, if you love it, rock it hard. And feel free to leave me a scathing comment if you see fit, I won't mind!

No comments:

Post a Comment