Friday, November 30, 2012

Girl Friday: Kristen

This is my dear friend Kristen!
I've known this girl since she befriended me in high school. (I was a nerd. She thought she was amazingly cool. Probably because she was.) Her style was waaay different back then, and mainly consisted of tees and jeans, work boots and heavy-duty farm hoodies. So you can understand why, after she'd moved out and gotten married, I died laughing when she showed up to lunch looking posh and gangsta-fabulous. After I caught my breath, I of course told her she looked amazing -- I loved that she'd found another style that works for her, and I could tell she was loving experimenting with this new side of her personality. She has so much fun with her style, and it shows!

*   *   *   *   *  

The Twenty Ninth: Describe your style in a few words or a phrase.
K: I don't know that I've ever tried to put my style into words. I'm more of a "if I like it, I'll wear it" kind of girl. But comfortable and accessories are key so let's sum it up as "blinged out comfort."

TN: How has your style evolved over the years?  
K:  I don't know that evolve would be the appropriate word to describe it. I more so belly-flopped like an elephant off the high dive into my style. Growing up surrounded by the farm life my wardrobe was pretty much made up of steel toed boots, dirty jeans, a few worn in t-shirts sporting my favorite Professional Bull Riding cowboys, and my trusty Carhartt jacket (yes, the one from the men's department at the tractor supply store). Although I loooved my childhood, once I moved out I suddenly discovered ACCESSORIES and FASHION and just like that it was out with the old and in with the new. I'm a night and day comparison these days.
TN: Any fun/embarrassing clothing mishaps or stories you want to share?
K: How about the other day when I didn't realize that my fancy wrap shirt fell apart while running errands? That little button clasping it closed in the back... yeah, it had let go and was allowing in a big draft that I stupidly decided to ignore for the longest time. And of course that was the day I neglected to properly layer it with a tank underneath. Haha, you better believe safety pins was suddenly the next item on my shopping list!

TN: Who are your style influences?
K: Honestly, people on the street and friends on Facebook. Especially that mom pushing a stroller and chasing a toddler who struts her stuff with flare. Having my life centered around producing, raising, and caring for little munchkins, I know what an effort it can be sometimes so I love to take note of others excelling at it. I also love browsing fashion magazines and watching TV shows centered around bashing bad celebrity style... haha, yes I do.
TN: Where's your favorite place to shop?  
K: I'm a bargain-hunting girl. With our young family budget where most cash goes towards diapers, etc., it's crucial to keep my style in financial check. The stores I stalk would be Ross, Marshall's, TJ Maxx, Burlington, Charlotte Russe, and Forever 21.

TN: How do you pick out an outfit? 
K: By asking myself what comfy shirt I'd like to wear and then excitedly heaping on the accessories. I love having those staple go-to shirts and jeans that I just know will look good without having to double check the mirror. I then love making the outfit unique in how I "bling it out" from my array of add-ons. For example, in three of my pictures here you might notice that I'm wearing the exact same grey shirt and bootcut jeans but the outfits are each styled to fit a completely different mood. Trying to put together a combination that I've never worn before is always the most exciting part of getting dressed, I think.
TN: Which part of your look have you experimented with recently? 
K: Headpieces would be my latest adventure. I've been trying out wraps and bandannas and loving it. 

TN: What's your favorite thing in your closet to wear and why? 
K: Earrings, earrings, earrings. The bigger, the louder, the more gangster the better!! I love my collection. I can be wearing the most effortless outfit but throw a pair of dangles in those ears and BAM, it's flashy! And yes, everyone warned me, "just wait till your kids want to yank those suckers out!" but this is one area that really matters to me. My son's first household rule was "no touching mommy's earrings" and I'll die defending that rule... well... okay, maybe not literally.
TN: Is there an article of clothing or type of shoes you wouldn't be caught dead in?
K: Oh gosh yes! Fila Skele shoes (you know those rubber ones that wrap around your toes). Those shoes make me sooooo queasy. I don't care how good-for-your-feet they claim to be, if you ever see me wearing them admit me to a home cause I've officially gone mad!

TN: Do you have a favorite skincare or makeup product, or a favorite perfume?
K: I love Arbonne's natural skincare line, Maybelline's 24hr Color Tattoo Eye Shadow, and Napoleon Perdis' Set Eye Primer. With those last two coupled together, my colorful lids are sure to look just as pristine by bedtime as they did when the morning began. 

TN: Any shopping tips or fashion advice you'd like to share? 
K: Know your body. Know what cut and shape of clothing usually fits you well so you cut down on the disappointed in the dressing room. Strive to fill your closet with beautiful "default" pieces that are comfortable. We all know comfort and not being distracted by ill-fitting pieces is crucial when juggling babies. So go ahead mommas, pull your hoodie out if you must but pair it with some bangles on your wrist and cute pair of boots on your feet and try to leave your yoga pants at home. Don't be afraid to jazz up your basics!

*   *   *   *   *

Kristen, you're an inspiration to other moms and busy women everywhere. Thanks for being so bling-tastic, and thanks for interviewing!

Kristen's pictures were taken by Brittany Thomas, of Brittany Thomas Photography. Check out more of Brittany's work on her blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment