Friday, November 2, 2012

Girl Friday: Lydia

Meet my talented photographer friend, Lydia!

Cardigan (thrifted), top (Urban Outfitters), jeans (H&M), shoes (thrifted), bag (Forever 21)

I asked Lydia to share her style expertise because she blends vintage, thrifted, and modern clothing so well. Whenever I see Lydia, she's got on some kind of artistic, feminine outfit that looks carefully chosen and put together, and she's able to effortlessly channel a vintage MadMen type of glamour -- something that very few people can do well without looking costumey. As a redhead, Lydia embraces her "ginger-ness" by dressing for her skin tone & hair color, and allows her gorgeous curls to star as her own unique accessory. Enjoy her interview, and her pictures!

*   *   *   *   *

The Twenty Ninth: Describe your style in a few words or a phrase.
L: Somewhere between vintage and contemporary. I don't wear a lot of jewelry. I like my clothes to do the talking. 

TN: How has your style evolved over the years?  
L: Well, considering I didn't discover mascara until senior year of high school I like to think I had nowhere to go but up! But really, once I realized I could apply my art-loving brain to clothes and have fun I was sold. Since then I have genuinely enjoyed pushing my style limits and trying new things every year. 

TN: Any fun/embarrassing clothing mishaps or stories you'd like to share? 
L: So, I'm not a big fan of slips. Once while photographing a wedding my dress went static crazy and kept hiking all the way up my legs. At one point the bride commented, "Well, I bet you wish you'd put on a different dress this morning!" I was mortified.
Dress (thrifted), shoes (DSW)
TN: Who are your style influences? 
L: I'm really inspired by street fashion photos on Pinterest. And as a proud red head I'm always excited to see what my fellow gingers are wearing, particularly Emma Stone and Jessica Chastain. 

TN: Where's your favorite place to shop?  
L: Online: Asos.com. In person: H&M, Urban Outfitters and the occasional thrift store.

TN: How do you pick out an outfit? 
L: I'll usually base an outfit around a new piece that I'm really loving. Or I'll reach back into my closet, find something that I haven't worn in a while a challenge myself to make something new of it. I've learned to love that sinking "I don't know if I can pull this off" feeling. It keeps me from becoming boring.
Scarf (thrifted), sweater (Gap), jeans (Forever 21), shoes (Steve Madden)
TN: What's your favorite thing in your closet to wear and why?  
L: I'm addicted to dresses. Half of my closet is comprised of them. I love how multipurpose they are. You can buy a simple summer dress and pair it with boots, tights and a cardigan for the Fall. 90% of the outfits I wear out of my house include a cardigan on my arm or in my purse. My favorite season is Fall so maybe it's a comfort thing. But the way the weather fluctuates here in Maryland it's also pretty practical too. 

TN: Any shopping tips or fashion advice you'd like to share? 
L: Shop online! It'll save you a load of time and probably a few headaches too. Shopping online offers so many things you just can't get in a store - more sizes, more quantity, more variety. And frankly, the clothes haven't been tried on a dozen times so they often look better. I suggest finding stores like Asos that offer free shipping and free returns. I've been shopping online for years now and it's the best.

*   *   *   *   *

Thanks, Lyd! I love your look!
If you're interested in learning more about Lydia's photography (which believe me, you want to), click here!

No comments:

Post a Comment