Friday, November 9, 2012

Girl Friday: Abbi

Meet my friend Abbi!
You'll never meet anyone quite like her: she's sweet, snarky, classy, and artistic, all rolled into one. She has a daring fashion sense -- she's tried things I don't have the guts to but wish I did -- but no matter how "unique" she gets she always looks fashionable and comfortable in her own skin. You can tell that Abbi composes her outfits with a lot thought, and her boldness and her artistic eye inspire me to try styling clothes and accessories in new ways. I think it's safe to say you're going to love this interview!

*   *   *   *   *

The Twenty Ninth: Describe your style in a few words or a phrase.
A: I think of my style as classic with touches of quirky and unexpected.
TN: How has your style evolved over the years?  
A: Everyone has their "awkward teenager" phases, but mine was truly the worst. At 13 I thought it would be a really good idea to pair a red and white horizontally striped top with some very floral, blousy old lady shorts. The flowers on the shorts were blue on a white background, and I figured it was a great twist on the patriotic thing to have the stars in the form of... a floral design. Super edgy, right? I was also big on pairing oversized hand-me-down t-shirts that said "I Ran a 5k" with my various floral shorts. It was the 90's, after all, so cut me a little slack. Everybody has photos they regret from the 90's. Unless they weren't born until after the 90's. In which case they're probably in a regrettable photo stage right now. (That was free. You're welcome.)

TN: Who are your style influences? 
A: It took me until about the end of high school to figure out there was a such thing as fashion. In a small mid-western town, I knew just one girl who had a sense of real class. I began thinking "Would Erica wear this?" as I got dressed. Erica, you're probably gagging right now if you're reading. I wasn't exactly a master forger. Nevertheless, my mindset changed overnight. I started experimenting more, started to make my own clothes if it was something simple. It's okay to imitate other people -- that's how you'll learn what works best for you. Wear it with confidence and a big smile, and you can't go wrong.
TN: Where's your favorite place to shop?  
A: My secret thrift store! I head for the $1 racks, undaunted by the rows of denim and sweats, looking for textures or patterns that strike my fancy. I don't rule something out just for being too big or out of date, if it's something a quick seam or a belt could fix. If I could imagine it on the pages of an Anthropologie catalog, I snag it and enjoy wearing a spent-a-fortune look for just a couple of dollars.

TN: How do you pick out an outfit? 
A: True confessions: on workdays, I normally grab anything that doesn't require an iron. On weekends, I have a little more time for creativity. Sometimes I start with one item that catches my eye, and build around it focusing mainly on 1) mood and 2) color. As all you other women know, we're capable of being in multiple moods at the same time. Applying that principle to your dressing can yield some really fun and unexpected combinations, even when it comes to color. Don't be afraid to go to unusual sources for inspiration on color combos. A Renoir painting, a child's sidewalk art, an autumn walk, or a shiny bike could all be fair game. (And, of course, chocolate. Chocolate is always excellent food for thought. And taste buds.)
TN: Which part of your look have you experimented with recently?
A: Recently I've experimented with tone-on-tone dressing. I'll pick one neutral (usually black or brown) and then layer on the color. Blue top, jacket, jewelry, sometimes even hair, all in various shades that complement each other. Result: the eye connects like with like and communicates "put together!" to the viewer. 
 
TN: What's your favorite thing in your closet to wear and why? 
A: My favorite pants! They're threadbare and the gray color has faded, but the fit is so perfect I can't give them up.
TN: Is there an article of clothing or type of shoes you wouldn't be caught dead in?
A: I've learned my lesson: the moment I say I'll never wear something, it seals my fate. Maybe I should try swearing off an expensive Louis Vuitton bag, and see what happens.

TN: Do you have a favorite piece of jewelry?
A: Pearls are one of my signatures. The photo is of the ones my grandma gave me last year. Her husband bought them for her on their Mallorca, Spain honeymoon. 
TN: Do you have a favorite skincare or makeup product, or a favorite perfume?
A: I use Aveeno Simply Radiant! moisturizer daily. It reflects light so your skintone looks more even. Plus, it has sunscreen.
 
TN: Any shopping tips or fashion advice you'd like to share? 
A: I love learning the true value of an item. On cheaply made or trendy pieces, I'll very rarely spend more than $5-7. That way I have more left in my budget for items that are timeless and won't wear out quickly. Or maybe chocolate. Yes, maybe that.

*   *   *   *   *

Abbi, you inspire me! I love what you said about finding inspiration in everything from a painting to a shiny bike, as well as channeling your multiple moods to create a new look. Thanks for interviewing!

2 comments: