Wednesday, August 8, 2012

2, 4, 6, 8, Who Do We Appreciate? Boys.


...Because if you steal their stuff, you can have more clothes. Simple. Words to live by.

I've stolen clothes from the guys in my life for as long as I can remember - mainly from my older brother, Ryan. When I was about 11, I fell in love with a pair of Buster Brown loafers he'd outgrown. Being the fashion-forward thinker that I am, I adopted them and paired them with jeans (also from Ryan - jeans are jeans when you're a kid) and a white Guess button down, worn over my pink dance leotard. I would've tied the shirt tails in a knot at the waist but I think I wasn't sure if I was allowed to, so I just tucked it in. In later years, I wore his outgrown flannel shirts (buttoned up and tucked in like a lady, of course), and, as a middle schooler, I discovered that boxers make excellent pajama bottoms.

Yeah, I'm not exactly proud of that one... It's... innovative at best.

Sophomore and junior year, I moved on to stealing my dad's stuff. He had this wooly tan sweater that I wore one winter, in a slouchy kind of way. Then, that summer, I wore his 25-year-old vintage Ocean City flip flops whenever he wasn't. Recently, I've been mourning the loss of a pair of burgundy hi-tops that he owned and got rid of before I was old enough to filch them.

Now I get to steal clothes from David, and I have an advantage because I shop for him. He's nice; he doesn't mind. So I made a list of my favorite things of his to wear...
  • Baseball hats: Girls' hats are sized too small. His fit loosely over my head and ears, allowing my hair to breathe, so I can rock the messy low bun. I like pairing a baseball cap with a sundress and easy sneakers for a cute, girl-next-door look.
  • Oxford shirt: Classic white is good. Since it's a little over-sized, I wear the first few buttons open and tuck the front into cut off denim shorts, or even tie the shirt tails in the front in a knot. Wear it with heels to keep it glamorous and feminine. 
  • Basic tee shirt: Not just for when you're painting, lounging, or 8 months pregnant. Try one of his striped tees, or a white v-neck tee front-tucked into skinny jeans, with a feminine belt, and heels or flats.
  • Belt: Adds the perfect amount of masculine rusticness to a floaty dress or blouse. I prefer his slightly beat up brown leather belt because I like the unexpected texture it lends to an otherwise very feminine outfit. 
  • Watch: Same idea as the belt - it's an unexpectedly masculine piece that can offset your stack of pretty bracelets in just the right way.
Found anything worth stealing from your brother, father, boyfriend, or husband's closet?

2 comments:

  1. love you, LOVE this post, love the "new" blog. i'm a fan and we need to get together!

    ReplyDelete