Monday, August 20, 2012

Gray Morning, Bright Blue Shorts

Goooood morning, my little blog readers! It's kind of gray and... well, gray out. I don't know about you, but for me, Monday + gray = not so winning combination in the productivity/morale department. Makes me want to hook myself up to an IV of color, tropical breezes, and sunshine. Or do the next best thing, which of course is blogging about bright, colorful clothes. Am I right?

Mindy emailed me asking for help with styling a pair of bright blue shorts she has. So far, she's only tried white and black tops, both of which are good options! But let's see if we can get past the... welllll, obvious to something a little more creative.

These are the colors that came to mind...

Gray: I know, not super exciting to start off with (especially given the forecast) -- but when it comes to clothes, it's one of my favorite colors, and it goes with everything. I love gray because it's not as stark as white or black, and it lends a casual, comfortable look to an outfit.
Blue Shorts - gray


Coral: You might not think that a shade of orange would be the best choice to pair with blue, but here's a little tip, straight from your middle school art class: if you look at a color wheel, you can find complementary color pairings by picking a color and looking at which hue is straight across from it on the wheel (as well as the colors on either side of it). So, in basic terms: shades of red complement shades of green, orange complements blue, and yellow complements purple.
Blue Shorts - coral


Navy: You can always go monochromatic -- it usually ends up looking pretty chic. Navy and bright blue is one of my current favorite color combinations. It's fun and a little daring without going too crazy. Plus they just look pretty together... I know. Strong argument.
Chambray or denim: Trendy, and classic -- like gray, denim goes with everything.Blue Shorts - navy

Others ideas would be bright yellow, a denim jacket over a white tank, or a gold or silver sequined top. Hope that helps some!

If you've got clothes you're not sure how to style (or just want some fresh ideas for) give me a holler and I'll see what I can do. David helped me put a handy-dandy query form in the sidebar, making it easier than ever. Give it a try!

3 comments:

  1. Olive or rust would work as well...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Huh, I never thought of that. Do you have any examples of outfits with those colors? I'm curious!

      Delete
  2. Maybe things like these:
    http://www.outblush.com/women/images/2011/12/Mount-olive-top.jpg
    http://demo001.ezonesoft.com/images/product/tank-tops/bronze-button-tank-top-olive-276-2.jpg
    http://s3.amazonaws.com/static.fab.com/inspiration/159767-612x612-1.png
    http://7.images.singer22.com/static/products/T275x400/T80075-A.jpg
    http://img1.targetimg1.com/wcsstore/TargetSAS//img/p/14/13/14132951_120803023000.jpg

    Accessorize in black and dull brass.

    ReplyDelete