Friday, August 24, 2012

Girl Friday: Lauren

This week on Girl Friday: Lauren!
As long as I've known Lauren, I've been impressed with how she always dresses true to her taste. She makes clothes work for her, not the other way around. Whatever she wears always looks classic, clean, and just... pretty!

*   *   *   *   *

The Twenty Ninth: Describe your style in a few words or a phrase.
Lauren: Simple classy with a touch of softness.

TN: How has your style evolved over the years? 
L: My style has grown into adulthood as I have. I used to wear more playful glitzy articles when I was in high school and early college. Now when I shop I try to find timeless pieces that can go with lots of items in my closet instead of always seeking out that one wow piece.

TN: Any fun/embarrassing clothing mishaps or stories you'd like to share?
L: Recently I was at J.Crew and the male sales associate had to tell me that my satchel purse was pulling my dress up in the back. I thanked him and left as soon as possible. Now I am always checking myself when I wear a dress or skirt on the shorter side with that purse.

TN: Who are your style influences? 
L: I take visual tips from any fashionable person I see when I'm out and about as well as on sites like Pinterest and in magazines. Although I don't own much of her clothing line, I like Lauren Conrad's chic personal style. Once I sat down at Barnes & Noble and read her book on fashion, "Style by Lauren Conrad" cover to cover. 

TN: Where's your favorite place to shop?  
L: I love Gap, J.Crew and Loft, with an occasional item from Urban Outfitters.

TN: How do you pick out an outfit? 
L: When I have trouble picking out an outfit to wear for the day I try to treat it like a challenge. I love finding new color/fabric combinations that I had never thought of before in my closet. It's like getting a new outfit without having to spend any money. It is always fun to experiment. I usually begin with the top I want to wear and then go from there but I normally have more creative success if I start with an accessory and build from that.

TN: What's your favorite thing in your closet to wear and why?  
L: I love wearing dark skinny jeans with a loose flowy blouse. That is a definite go to outfit in my closet because it is comfortable and a good in-between dressy and casual.

TN: Any shopping tips or fashion advice you'd like to share? 
L: Since I am trying to build a wardrobe that will last a while I try to steer clear of things that are "too trendy" when shopping. I try to use discretion to decide if a trend is going to last a few months or if it could last several years. That said, I do let myself buy trendy things every now and then but they are usually accessories, rather than big items. Another thing I often catch myself doing when I walk into a store is scanning it quickly to see what catches my eye. Then I go to those items and if nothing catches my eye in those first few minutes in the store, I go to the next store. 
Lauren, thanks for interviewing -- I particularly can't wait to try your idea of putting an outfit together by trying to match unusual fabrics. That's a really cool approach.

If you all have more questions for Lauren, leave a comment!

No comments:

Post a Comment