Monday, August 13, 2012

Finding Inspiration

On Saturday, I was driving home after a trip with my sister to The Mustard Seed (for those who care: I scored this olive green silk dress with pockets from Banana Republic for $15!), and somewhere between Wisconsin Ave and M Street, I came up with about four different outfits I want to try. Believe me, this doesn't happen every day. And the next time I wake up uninspired and the clothes in my closet look as exciting as a rack of brown paper bags, I know I'm going to forget all about my brilliant ideas from Saturday. Actually... I already have. Heh.

My friend Connie asked, "Where do you find inspiration and higher end looks? Who is putting together fun and fresh looks?" and I thought this would a great topic to cover. I think the answers will vary from person to person based on their particular style preferences. (i.e. I don't look at Hot Topic or Coldwater Creek catalogs when I'm in a fashion rut...) So here are my favorite places to go when I'm looking for ideas, but I'd also love to hear about who or what inspires you when it comes to your closet.

My favorites:
  • Pinterest has to be my number one go-to these days. I use my fashion board as though it were a bulletin board inside my closet. It's easy enough to pull it up on the computer while I'm shopping my clothes and trying to figure out what works with what. Find pinners who like similar styles as you, or who pin things you'd like to branch out and try, and follow them! If you're interested in trends, follow fashion moguls and trendsetters like Nina Garcia, Olivia Palermo, etc. -- many fashion leaders have Pinterest accounts. (This goes for Twitter as well -- I follow several fashion magazines on Twitter, and they're always linking to ways to wear stuff, trends to try, etc.)
  • Website lookbooks -- most sites have an "outfits we love" feature these days and they update it seasonally, if not monthly. My favorite ones to look through are J.Crew and Madewell because they keep things classic and throw in unexpected pieces here and there. Even though I always don't subscribe to their total look, a lot of times one of their outfits will trigger ideas for pieces I already own (i.e. basic ideas like "try a jacket over a dress" or "try a sweater with shorts"). If a site doesn't have a lookbook, they might have their current catalog online. Find your favorite places to shop (whether in reality or in your wildest dreams) and check their sites periodically.
  • Film/real people watching -- I like observing what's around me for inspiration I can use. It might sound lame, but I'll rent a movie based on the fashion in it (The Devil Wears Prada, anyone?). And I'm always watching (which sounds really creepy?) whenever I'm out and about for outfits that are different or incorporate elements I want to try. Then I'll come home and see if I can find something similar on Pinterest, or I'll just write down notes to myself.
Leave a comment and let us know where you look to be inspired! Inquiring minds want to know.

No comments:

Post a Comment