Sunday, August 5, 2012

Up & Aut-umn

I'm not feeling sorry for the pun.

Fall is coming up fast, but living in DC means we typically still experience 70-80 degree days till the beginning of October. So it's always tricky finding the balance between summer and fall, especially when you're not sure what you'll wake up to the next day. For someone who gets excited about wearing fall clothes the second the calendar hits September 1, this can be frustrating. Also, "sweater" can take on a whole new meaning, if you get what I'm saying. Gross.

Tell me I'm not alone. Would it help if I apologized for the pun?

Okay. I'm a little sorry about the pun now.

As we anticipate autumn weather, I thought I'd show you a couple outfits I've been mulling over that would be good for the slow transition into the season - incorporating some warmer weather pieces along with a few homages to the coming cold (if you click the pictures below, it'll take you to Polyvore where you can find the links to each piece):

I'm hoping to try the shorts/boots combo this fall. The sweater is an open knit, so it's not too bulky or warm, but it still adds a textural element. The stripes compliment the salt-and-pepper color of the sweater without going overboard:

I am in love with these leather Chuck Taylors. They're pricey. But amazing. Time will tell whether they'll make it into my closet or not... Anyway. I thought they'd be kind of edgy but classic with the blouse & jeans. (I know. I say edgy & classic a lot. Probably because that's kind of what my style is? Edgy beachy classic?) The leopard print belt adds an element of surprise:
A baseball tee works because it's lightweight, and I like how the red sleeves compliment the floral jeans. The jeans plus the shirt give a slight nod to pattern mixing without going over the top (don't get me wrong - over the top can be awesome). I put two shoe options on this one, canvas sneakers & suede flats, two textures that work with the overall feel of the outfit:

What are your favorite October compromises?

3 comments: